Switching to a 14' table...wondering why others are downsizing?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first machine had a 14 ft table. My second machine has 12 ft table. I loved the space for quilting on a 14 ft table. There was plenty of room for the machine to be off the quilt. But it was LONG, it really is amazing how much longer that 2 feet adds when taking floor space. I am glad I have a 12 ft table now, there are only a few times I wish I had a larger table again. I just never really needed all that quilting space. Would I buy a 14 ft table again...no because of the space it takes and I can do everything I want on a 12 ft table.

My first machine had a 14 ft table. My second machine has 12 ft table. I loved the space for quilting on a 14 ft table. There was plenty of room for the machine to be off the quilt. But it was LONG, it really is amazing how much longer that 2 feet adds when taking floor space. I am glad I have a 12 ft table now, there are only a few times I wish I had a larger table again. I just never really needed all that quilting space. Would I buy a 14 ft table again...no because of the space it takes and I can do everything I want on a 12 ft table.

When I was deciding whether to get a 12' or a 14' table with my machine, I was advised by several people to get the 14' if I had the room. I do have the room and did get the 14' and glad of it. I am working on a king size quilt now that would not have fit on a 12' and left room for the machine at each end. It's also nice when using the QZ that I can just move it to the end out of the way when I am not using it. MOST of the time I am only quilting queen size, but when I need the length it's there. ;)

When I was deciding whether to get a 12' or a 14' table with my machine, I was advised by several people to get the 14' if I had the room. I do have the room and did get the 14' and glad of it. I am working on a king size quilt now that would not have fit on a 12' and left room for the machine at each end. It's also nice when using the QZ that I can just move it to the end out of the way when I am not using it. MOST of the time I am only quilting queen size, but when I need the length it's there. ;)

Kristina, if I had room for the 14' table, I would have gotten it in the beginning. Now that my quilt studio is in the works:), I'm going to wait until I get into it to see if I still want to go up in size. Glad you're going to be able to get the 14 footer.

Kristina, if I had room for the 14' table, I would have gotten it in the beginning. Now that my quilt studio is in the works:), I'm going to wait until I get into it to see if I still want to go up in size. Glad you're going to be able to get the 14 footer.

Kristina, I don't know if I ever really told you my reasons for downsizing. Since I really only quilt for myself, I can control the size of the quilt. When I had my Gammill with the 12 foot table, I did quilt two quilts that were 120x120 or thereabouts. It was a bit of a squeeze but I managed.

Right now we are remodeling our house, including putting down hardwood flooring in the family room and living room. The family room was my studio. I decided I really would rather have the family room and wait for a while to have a quilt studio again. We do lots of entertaining and it was hard with the quilt machine taking up all that real estate! So when our daughter goes off to college in a few months, I will take over her bedroom in the basement. I could get the 14 foot table down there, but it would be much more comfortable with the 12 foot table.

Gee, now I wrote a book! Aren't you glad you asked? :P

Kristina, I don't know if I ever really told you my reasons for downsizing. Since I really only quilt for myself, I can control the size of the quilt. When I had my Gammill with the 12 foot table, I did quilt two quilts that were 120x120 or thereabouts. It was a bit of a squeeze but I managed.

Right now we are remodeling our house, including putting down hardwood flooring in the family room and living room. The family room was my studio. I decided I really would rather have the family room and wait for a while to have a quilt studio again. We do lots of entertaining and it was hard with the quilt machine taking up all that real estate! So when our daughter goes off to college in a few months, I will take over her bedroom in the basement. I could get the 14 foot table down there, but it would be much more comfortable with the 12 foot table.

Gee, now I wrote a book! Aren't you glad you asked? :P

I would love to have a 14' table and could of gotten that size when I brought "Lilla", but I was limit to a 12' table due to my quilt studio is only 13'4". I have no room to walk around my table, I have to crawl under it to get to the other side........what a pain!!!

I would love to have a 14' table and could of gotten that size when I brought "Lilla", but I was limit to a 12' table due to my quilt studio is only 13'4". I have no room to walk around my table, I have to crawl under it to get to the other side........what a pain!!!

Guest Linda S

I think it's mostly to do with the size of their quilting room. My studio is 25' x 17', so I have plenty of room for my 14' table. Good thing too, because I have a tiny little customer (I doubt she's 5' tall) who makes King sized quilts all the time!

Archived