Thread Painting

I'm about to try my hand at thread painting and would like to hear from others who have done it about what I should remember to do or not do. Any advice would be cheerfully received so that I don't spend time re-inventing the wheel.

Thanks in advance!

I'm about to try my hand at thread painting and would like to hear from others who have done it about what I should remember to do or not do. Any advice would be cheerfully received so that I don't spend time re-inventing the wheel.

Thanks in advance!

When Thread Painting, what is done about the back of the quilt???? Mine looks pretty ugly compared to the front.. I'm thinking I'll use a layer of organza on the back, do the thread painting, then add a backing and just outline where I can.. I'd really love to hear what others do, how it's handled, what is used, including batting, etc.

Thanks, many times,

RitaR

When Thread Painting, what is done about the back of the quilt???? Mine looks pretty ugly compared to the front.. I'm thinking I'll use a layer of organza on the back, do the thread painting, then add a backing and just outline where I can.. I'd really love to hear what others do, how it's handled, what is used, including batting, etc.

Thanks, many times,

RitaR

You ought to go to the master of thread painting - Sue Patton. Here is a photo of one of her pieces at MQS - Sue with her parrots. I greatly admire her abilities and perhaps she has a book which would give you some ideas. Sue travels a lot and perhaps she can chime in here.

I know that she likes to use variegated thread and counts the time it takes to get to the next color so she can place the right color in the right spot. I'm sure that is a technique that has to have practice.

Vicki

You ought to go to the master of thread painting - Sue Patton. Here is a photo of one of her pieces at MQS - Sue with her parrots. I greatly admire her abilities and perhaps she has a book which would give you some ideas. Sue travels a lot and perhaps she can chime in here.

I know that she likes to use variegated thread and counts the time it takes to get to the next color so she can place the right color in the right spot. I'm sure that is a technique that has to have practice.

Vicki

post--13461904313728_thumb.jpg

Sue is a gem for sure, and her vehicle is almost identical in color to her hair.. or was when I took a class with her.. and her nails, she is such a tiny bit.. and fun to take a class with.

Her parrots I'd not seen before.. looks as though she uses a fairly heavy thread, too, and of course it's beautiful.

Thanks for tips on the thread painting.

RitaR

Sue is a gem for sure, and her vehicle is almost identical in color to her hair.. or was when I took a class with her.. and her nails, she is such a tiny bit.. and fun to take a class with.

Her parrots I'd not seen before.. looks as though she uses a fairly heavy thread, too, and of course it's beautiful.

Thanks for tips on the thread painting.

RitaR

I have a quilter who lives near me who does thread painting, maybe some of you know (of) her, Judy Irish. Anyway, I have seen her quilts and they are usually displayed with the back showing as well as the front, as the back has almost the same picture as the front. She used the same bobbin color as the top and it comes out beautifully.

A friend and I will be having her over for a day to teach us, probably in the fall after school starts again, as my friend has a son who is in elementary school yet. I can't wait.

I have a quilter who lives near me who does thread painting, maybe some of you know (of) her, Judy Irish. Anyway, I have seen her quilts and they are usually displayed with the back showing as well as the front, as the back has almost the same picture as the front. She used the same bobbin color as the top and it comes out beautifully.

A friend and I will be having her over for a day to teach us, probably in the fall after school starts again, as my friend has a son who is in elementary school yet. I can't wait.

Archived