attaching binding with the LA question

i saw the other thread about the new 'ruler' that makes attaching binding to a quilt in the frame easy...

so here's my question: are you providing this for customers and how are you charging- one flat rate based on sized of the quilt -OR- are you charging by the linear inch?

does the customer make the binding or do you..

just wondering...thinking about offering this service...i wouldn't suggest this technique for show quilts, right?

thanks for answering....

I square it before I put it on the frame. (IF I'm putting on the binding) I charge .12 per linear foot for this service. go get 'em girl!!! If I put it on the front and the back with a DSM, I charge .25 per linear foot.

You know that is my nickname??? Linnear!!:P:P:P:P:P:P

When I put binding on with the LA, I take my long ruler and mark a stitching line on the outer border as though I was going to trim it off to square it up. I place the raw edge of the binding on that line and stitch it down.............then trim it off when I take it off the machine. I still whip it down by hand on the back side. It is sooooo much easier to do it on the LA - especially with big quilts. I use my "Castle" ruler from DeLoa and hold the binding and stitch. It has the quarter inch notches to use as a guide. :)

OOPS!!!:o :o Sorry Julie!! I meant linear INCH!!!!:P:P:P And no, I do NOT hand stitch the back. I sew it to the back with my Bernina, the press it open, so to speak; and sew it to the front with a straight stitch. Matching thread colors back and front. Yes, up close you can see the stitching, but from 4 feet away??? Nothing. Keep in mind these are not heirloom or show quilts, just get 'er done quilts. A lot of people bring me quilts that they want returned completely finished; ready to give away as a gift. I started doing this with QOV, and they came out so nice, now I do it whenever they want it FINISHED!!!:P

Archived