applique... light over dark

I am in the process of making a quilt that uses light and dark fabric. This is my plan. Tell me if I am crazy.

There are only 4 center blocks in the quilt with motifs. I would like to make them ovals and applique them to the background. This would allow me to do a panto on the background, then apply the appliqued ovals, put it back on the machine, and quilt the applique. Is this crazy? The reason that I want to do it this way is because I have a panto that I really want to use, but the background is a black print and the appliqued ovals are cream color. I will be using black thread for the panto, which I don't want on the cream. And, my free hand isn't up to snuff yet.

One of the problems that I have is that the black shows through the cream. I wouldn't be able to trim it away if I quilt first. Could I line the ovals with something to prevent the show through? Will that make it too dense?

Or....should I just suck it up, applique my ovals, cut away the backing, and use stencils to quilt it. Sounds much easier. But, the panto would be so perfect for this quilt.

Sorry so long. I need to figure this out today, so I can get it together, then quilt it on Wed.

Peggy

Sandra, I thought about starting and stopping the panto. Is that a pain to do? I thought that if I made an oval template, I could line it up over the part of the panto paper as I get to that section to remind me.

Oh what to do, what to do. All I know is that I can't spend all day thinking about it. I need to just decide and go for it.

Peggy,

Your idea will work, except then you will have double quilting on the back of your quilt - if I am understanding correctly. This would be a problem if you plan to enter it into shows. And yes I would underline the applique, I use a non woven interfacing, it will remain soft and not add too much bulk.

Good luck!

Peggy I did a customer's quilt that had applique's she wanted SID around them and no stitches in them; the background was a panto. I placed bobbins on the panto, about a half inch from where I needed to stop and freehanded to the applique'. It was the easiest way for me, especially since I don't do a lot of custom quilting (ppp yet).

Peggy this will work but you will need to line that cream fabric. You can use a thin interfacing but don't use the iron on kind. You could also consider using 2 pieces of fabric and see if that works ok. You can use anything as interfacing really just make sure when you are appliquing it that you catch it in some strategic areas so it doesn't sag over time. flannel works nicely for this or a heavier weight cotton fabric.

I agree with Heidi...line the cream fabric but DO NOT use iron on interfacing. I find it best to use a temporary adhesive spray such as 505 between the layers to hold the fabrics together until I have my stitching done so they don't shift. I also like it to hold the applique in place while pinning and/or stitching.

Another thought, Peg--if you over-all quilt it and then attach the applique, all the special poof that you want under the applique will be quilted down. If you still want to do it this way, use a spray adhesive to add extra batting under the applique before it is stitched on. That extra batting will help with the show-through on the cream fabric as well.

(My vote is for "skipping" the applique as you quilt. And let us know how that works out for you!;))

Archived