APQS Machines need your advice!

first let me say I have enjoyed this site more than I can say look forward to every post! I am new to longarm quilting purchased a gammill this past february.....it did not take me long to realize I may have made a mistake. I have had a terrible time with stitch quality especially on the back of my quilts..the stitches will start out fine but I never know unless I constantly check the back of the quilt if things have gone wrong anyway I seem to be having a problem with pantos also tracing with the laser light probably due to the weight of the machine..hard to get it accurate but that can be a newbie thing. I am seriously thinking about selling my gammill and buying a APQS Milli or Liberty and wanted you comments on the performance of your machine and what advice you would have for me. I am just sick over this whole matter and trying to explain it to my husband will be another story. I posted the pre-wash or not topic because my dealer has told me multiple times that if you don't pre-wash your fabric that it is hard to get good stitch quality or that the quality of the stitches are better I don't buy this statement and it makes me made to know I spent all the money I did to be told this when I have a problem. I cannot complain about my service somebody is always available for trouble shooting but I want a dependable machine that I don't have to spend hour after hour adjusting stithes to get what I want...Any previous gammill owners I would really apprecaite your input. thanks and happy quilting to all!!! Jackie

Hi Jackie

I agree the APQS forum is awesome - just by having this open forum demonstrates the pride APQS have in their product's reliability and after sales service.

You may have read about our Smart Bobbin and the fact that our machines are belt and gear driven these features are some of the things that give our machines the beautiful consistent stitches and make quilting so enjoyable.

Sometimes some fabric is so heavily starched that it won't give and stitches don't sink in as well as you would like, but personally I almost never wash my own backing fabrics before quilting and still have nice defined stitches using my Millennium and my Liberty machines.

I understand how "sick" you must feel at having spent all that money but maybe you could sell your current machine and purchase a new Millennium - this month APQS' reward is $1000.00 off all new Millenniums. Even if you lose some money now it will be worth it because you must be wasting so much good quilting time now adjusting and checking tensions so often - you could probably earn back what you lose in a few months. Its really hard to know what you need in a quilting machine until you've really used one for a while.

Good luck in your quilting

Sue in Australia

I had a Gammill Optimum for 7 years (not Stitch Reg)and had a number of problems with it but it is possible to get a

decent stitch. First and foremost I tested my tension using small scrap sandwiches every time I changed thread. If the tension was not to my satisfaction, I usually adjusted the bobbin tension first. Pulling up the bobbin thread to the top was essential every time you start to stitch...Putting a tiny bit of tape over part of the laser light narrows the beam lowering the back bar (with quilt roll) to about 1/2 inch above the machine reduces vibration and wheel alignment is so important ! I have purchased a Millenium and the stitches are prettier, there is less vibration, but the table is much harder to adjust. Each machine takes time to learn. Sue

Hi Jackie,

I love my Ult. I and wouldn't trade it for anything. However, before you make another huge move, I would give yourself a little more time with the machine you have. Following pantos accurately comes with practice. There is a learning curve you have to be willing to endure.

As far as the tension, is there anyone in your area with a gammil that could take a look at your machine and see if a good stitch is possible? How far away is your dealer? I know when I first got my APQS machine, I had more issues with tension than I do now. It can be frustrating as all of us want to be skilled quilters right away. It may be that you just need a little more time with your machine. Then, if it is the machine, I would try to get some time on an APQS before making the purchase just to see if you like the feel of it.

Kay

Your Gammill dealer is looking for excuses. Wash or not, the tension should be adjustable to good.

I heard this explaination once regarding Gammill, as I have a friend who has one, and she can only use one kind of thread (egads!). The good news is, the bobbin is larger. The bad news is that the thread has to travel much farther aound the bobbin case, and that can create problems. I couldn't LIVE with just one thread!

Hi Jackie.. I spent a lot of time looking at all the long arm,s.. and the ONLY company that bent over backwards to answer all the thing that i wanted to know was ....APQS....I got the MILLENNUM.. and I think it,s the best L.A. made.. You can,t ask for better service..help..or get more question,s answers on how to do this or that... then right here. and by some one or two ..three.. lol. that knows what they are talking about! When you need part,s or supply,s..you get some one to talk or that knows what they are doing... I could go on and on but I won,t..

I love my Milli, and working with the APQS staff - I have always had good service. And we can all go on about how great our machines are, but that is not helping you right now. There are a lot of Gammill owners out there, and I guess they are happy. I would say that there is an adjustment period with all machines, I know I was on the phone with the techs at APQS almost daily until I figured it all out. I would say that since you have your machine you should do as someone else said and find someone that has a Gammill in your area and let them "help" you. I have found that quilters seem to be very helpful - it is not like other business where it is very cut throat. You might see if there is a Machine Quilters Guild in your area, maybe someone ijn the group would be willing to help. Hope it all works out for you. These machines are not inexpensive and I know you feel like kicking yourself when you are not happy with your purchase. Hang in there, I'll bet something will happen. Of course I would love to see you in an APQS, but sometimes I know that is not possible or at least not for a while. Good luck with whatever you do.

Mary Beth

Here is my two cents -- before spring market i was all set to purchase a gammill -- in Louisiana almost all of the LA,ers i know own Gammill -- they all love them -- about two weeks before spring market, my friend, Rachel, came to my shop in Baton Rouge and suggested I look at the APQS before I made a final decision -- i took her advice -- she had just sold her Gammill b/c of several problems: thread issues being a major one along with vibration -- i went on a day and 1/2 shop hop before market and visited 8 shops -- all of them had APQS - i was able to talk to the quilters and that helped me a lot -- when i got to market i spent 3 days going back and forth b/t the Gammill and APQS -- hands down i was most comfortable at the APQS -- not only with the machine but with the reps also -- Deloa sold me my machine -- THANK YOU DELOA - we love, love, love love our machine -- We named her Ruby Q (after my grandmother who first taught me to hand piece ages ago) -- the people down here in South Louisiana can't belive I did not buy the Gammill -- some were even dissappointed -- I hope more APQS machines can start popping up down here -- OK enough sharing my joy for today --

Sandra:):):):)

Thanks Sandra and everybody your comments help so much. I believe everybody has a machine that is the right fit for them and it is just a matter of finding what works best for me so far the gammill has been a struggle and I know Sandra what you are talking about all the longarm quilters in my area seem to have the gammill and some of them are very good award winning quilters...so APQS is not well known around here I only found out about the brand while visiting this website which I have been addicted to ever since. I am going to a dealer in a few weeks hoping to get some good sew time...I must admit I did try the Milli out at the rosemont in February and I was very pleased with it's performance at that time so again thanks to all for your post. Jackie

Archived