I'm a super newbie to the forum. I too have some minkie I'd like to use for the back of a quilt. My fear is that it will be a nightmare to use. Does it stretch or is it pretty easy to use? Someone in a quilt store told me I might have to use stabilizer on it...that doesn't sound fun.

Thanks for your help.

Carol

Originally posted by Sunscreen Queen

I'm a super newbie to the forum. I too have some minkie I'd like to use for the back of a quilt. My fear is that it will be a nightmare to use. Does it stretch or is it pretty easy to use? Someone in a quilt store told me I might have to use stabilizer on it...that doesn't sound fun.

Thanks for your help.

Carol

Carol, use the selvages to pin to your leaders, not the cut edge and you will have no problem with stretch.

As far as "leavings, fluff, shedding", you all must buy different minkee in the USA than we get here in Canada. My bobbin has more lint from the batting than the minkee, and minkee is 100% polyester, so no shrinking there.

Yes, the "cut" edge will leave a bit of fluff depending on the design of the minkee, but that is so minimal......just my experience though.

The shedding I get from the minkee is from the cut edges. So I don't get it in the bobbin so much as everywhere. I made 14 Minkee blankets for Christmas. Minkee top and back with batting inbetween and one was KING size. I don't know how they sleep under it since it is so heavy. I couldn't even wrap the darn thing. My sewing room was covered in inches of Minkee fuzz.

I found it will stretch, as stated above, pin the selveges to the leaders not the cut edges. You can even make minkee blankets on your long arm by adding strips using your channel locks.

I love it for backing cuddly quilts as it makes them snuggly also.

Shirley

Archived