stencil help

Hey everyone. At the risk of looking like a total moron....For those of you who use stencils, how do you keep them from sliding around while your marking with the pounce. I think I'm brain dead from this oriental quilt. :D I never use stencils but I am using a grid stencil for my crosshatching and the thing is sliding all over. I'm sure this is a totally stupid question but any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tracey

Hi Tracyey

there are no stupid questions, and this is what I do. My first choice is to use a bit of spray baste on the back of the stencil, that helps it stick (lightly) to the fabric and I wash it off when I'm through marking and if I'm out of spray baste, I use blue painters tape to tack it to the fabric. Keeps me from pulling out my hair! Hope these suggestions help you. ;)

I use spray baste and you don't need a lot. works like a charm. Oh and if anybody is interested for easy marking I also made a modified table so that I can have support under the quilt once it is loaded. I took my saddle stool and put a board on top of it and then raised it to it's highest point. I had to put a bolt of fabric under the board to get it high enough but it gave me a very firm surface to do my marking on.

Archived