Queen size custom quilt, finished with pictures

I love what you did to this quilt. Feathers are wonderful!! I am sure you will get more quilt tops from this. happy customer. Do you think that if you went by the square inch you might have made more money? Since I don't do customer quilts yet I am just curious to find out the "Best" way to bill. I guess it is all a learning curve. BTW it looks like you learned a lot on this beautiful quilt.

Lisa :)

You did such a great job on this sampler, Sandra! All your solutions to the problem areas worked out great. Beautiful feathers!

I am also in the camp that says--charge by the square inch, not by how long you think it will take. There is never any way to estimate that time--what with the fullness factor that you may not even see until the top is loaded. You can also add a "fussy fee" when you have to fuss with something--be it steaming in fullness or trying to center a backer. All that eats up time, as we all know.

You are right now being "launched"--great word, huh? You are doing beautiful work and word of mouth and chatting at your guild will have customers flocking around you!! They will be fighting over you! Bask in it, my friend!!!:cool::cool::cool:

Thanks Lisa, Linda and Char.

BTW, I do charge by the square inch, but I like to have an idea of how long quilts will take me, so I can "adjust" my $ per square inch up or up. :)

IF I charged her 3 cents per square inch, the total would have been $253.94 or $5.91 an hour (43 hour's time). This is why I like to have a guestamate of how long something will take me, so I have a better sense whether I should charge 3 cents, 4 cents, etc.

How do you guys and gals decide on the cost per square inch for custom quilts? I guess this is similar to Dave's "survey." I have no problem with charging for pantos or CL design boards, although I do time myself on them, too to get an idea of the time required, but I usually charge 1.5 to 2 cents per square inch for them and make more for them than the custom quilts, per hour.

Archived