Queen size custom quilt, finished with pictures

This quilt was a BOM from JoAnn's, several years ago. It is a pretty quilt, but it did have its share of "issues" to challenge me.

My new customer said she wanted custom, and I could do whatever I wanted on it. I hope she likes it. I think it turned out great.

I figured it would take me about 25 hours to quilt it, and quoted a price with that in mind. Hummm... 43 hours later, I took it off the frame. I guess I still need to work on my estimates. LOL I will make peanuts on this quilt, but it was certainly a valuable learning experience.

post--13461904624844_thumb.jpg

Sandra, Love your work on this!! I did one just like this...same material and everything just about a month ago.. it is fun to see the different things we did on this same quilt! I just love your bowties!!! http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=23188&page=1#pid288580 is pictures of the one I did.... I love doing this kind of work! Looks like you do too!! Beautiful, beautiful work!!!! linda

Nice job Sandra

Looks like you did do alot of special quilting in on this one, it really shows the time and care you took to bring about such a beautiful Quilt. Congratulations and by the way your feathers look great. I am now noticing everyones feathers as I am taking an online class and have feathers on the brain for the last week. My goodness, I was even dreaming about making feathers. tonight I will be dreaming of making feathers like yours. lol

Thanks everyone for your very positive comments. It is sure encouraging to me to have this feedback.

Linda, I just looked at your quilt. You did a great job on it!!! I had some of the same ideas, as far as feathering in some of the off white blocks, but there was so much fullness in most of these blocks, I picked out the first two featherd blocks that I quilted and replaced them with the stippling to take up more of the fullness. The stippling in the off white areas also sucked up the fullness in the colored blocks around it. I SID after I stippled, so it helped a lot. I also thought about the curved cross hatching in the rectangular blocks, but went with feathers in them, instead. Probably because I wanted to do more feathers, and couldn't in the other blocks due to the amount of fullness. The maroon inner broder was so full that the first one I went to quilt, I thought was "raushed" (sp???) because there was so much fullness. Then I looked at the other sides and some were flat part of the row and then picked up alots of fullness. I think the worst side was about a foot too long and just scrunched in there somehow. I had to do a very tiny stipple and just plete it all down. After it was stitched, you couldn't tell there was a problem. I also thought of not stitching it at all and leaving that effect, but the sides were all different and it also affected the blocks around it. I took a few "before" shots so I could show my customer if I thought it prudent.

I enjoyed doing this quilt, and love the way it turned out, especially knowing it had lots of issues to handle during the process. Our Guild's quilt show is this October, and I'm going to encourage her to hang it in the show. It will be good for business, I think, especially since most of the others I have quilted for this group have been from my 1cent a square inch, "Grand Opening Special" for my business last spring. Even beautiful samplers were done with a large puzzle meander. (: But, that's what they wanted, so that's what they got. One lady wasn't real happy with it, but you get what you pay for. A large meander is not going to do the sampler any justice. Period! I did offer to requit it for her if she picked out the meander. I said I would deduct 50% of what she paid ($50) for the first quilting from the cost of the second time around, but she doesn't have the time to pick it out. Well, neither do I. :) She's not "bad mouthing" my quilting, just is not particularly pleased with the look of the meander, vs custom. Yep, there's no comparison in the look or the price. ;)

One the other side of things, I steared a lady who wanted custom quilting on a YBR twin quilt for her young (pre-school) granddaughter to an overall design. We did a CL Swirl and she loved it. I showed her pictures of one I did for my granddaughter, so she had a good visual of it.

I have 2 more custom quilts coming up, but they are more of a large wall hanging size, not queen size. Later I'm going to post pictures of my next quilt and ask for design ideas. It is a beautiful top, and at a quick look, seems like the piecing is very good. The borders are all hand turned applique and hand stitched to the top. Very beautiful handwork. This gal usually handquilts her tops, but is passing this one off to me. I MUST do it justice! It will be hung in the Guild's show, too. The backing she gave me (a pieced backing) is too small, so I notified her that I would like to get together this week to return the backing so she can add more fabric to it. I will be in Peru for the next few weeks, so I will start that one mid-September, but definately will need suggestions from my wonderful APQS friends for this one.

So, off to get ready for work. Thanks for the comments and thanks for reading my rant. :)

BEAUTIMOUS Quilt!! I like that word, really makes the boo-boo lights on my computer go on!----Grasshopper

P.S/ Looked again as something caught my eye other than the wonderful bold colors, I really like your different levels of texturing the quilt, soft subtle transitions, kind of relaxing to see where you went from one point/field to another!:cool:

Archived