bobbin thread?

working on a quilt that has two battings in it. Tension seems to be good and the stitching is looking good but the bobbin thread keeps getting wrapped around the latch on the bobbin case. I have checked to make sure it is not wrapped around it when I put it in but eventually ends up around it and I have to take it out and put it back in. Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening? Do I to adjust something? Wondering if I am getting to much flex on the needle because of the thickness of the batting but it seems to be sewing well.

Don't have a clue so need help.

This happens to me as well sometimes but I have no idea why. I run a gammill so my bobbin case is large but it's all the same mechanics. I'd be interested to know also why this happens.

Tracey

Linda--for me, the bobbin is in the right way so it isn't that.:)

Try slowing down, sometimes the friction/ density of the material will cause the thread to flip around after it pulls tight and then suddenly releases, this can cause a loop big enough to go guess where, even with the tension set correctly. Heidi is right with the hopping foot too as it will compress the thicker fabric/ batting and cause more friction if not set right. Just a guess and works for me, hope it helps -----Dave B.

This may not help for this quilt, but what threads are you using for the top and bottom? It may be that the bobbin thread is much thinner than the top thread, so is 'losing the tug of war.' You can adjust for that, but matching top and bottom thread thicknesses usually results in less tension problems. Just some thoughts.:cool:

Archived