pleats or puckers ?

When you are quilting a top that has little pleats or puckers from the blocks sewn poorly together and are not going to take them out do you just press them down and stitch over them where the quilt pattern goes over or should you hand stitch the pleat down? Will most of the pleats draw up when quilted? The batting is thin cotton like he wanted. There are quite a few on this quilt and this is the first. It belong to a husband that lost his wife and he just wants it quilted no particular pattern. Did not charge alot so don't want to spend to much time but don't want to do a bad job either. Need opinions on this please.

Bonnie, you are so thoughtful to ask about this-especially for a customer who has lost a spouse.

Quilt it as it comes to you. The pleats will happen wherever they fall, and I bet he will be happy with it in any case. Quilt designs with curves will help hide fullness in a block, but pleats are something else. If you can convince him to use a batt with poly in it--or all poly--that will help hide unfortunate piecing as well.

Good luck and bless you.

Bonnie if this guy don't go for the poly batt, maybe you can stipple around these pleats or even over them which ever looks best. I've done this in the past on a quilt that was pieced like this one; it didn't correct the problem but it did made it look better.

I had one I recently tried to do a panto but I just didn't like how it looked, so I frogged out the first row of panto and just did a large stipple as I could control with my left hand the fabric while I moved the machine with my right hand, avoided lots of tucks that way and just meandered around the fullness and puckers. Along with poly batting, it turned out ok and the customer was pleased.

Archived