Best Circle Method?

Hi Everyone:)

I want to quilt with circles and wonder what you all would recommend as the best way to do it for a beginner? Templates? Circle Lord? I would like to know which templates you like/use alot and especially where to buy them.

Thanks for your help!

Annette:)

Annette, My method is probably not the best method, but it works for me. I don't have a CL or HF either, although I do want one. I use various size plastic lids from yogurt cups, butter tubs, etc. I can draw around them using a blue marking pen and then add feather tips or fern fronds. Or I can

stitch around them without marking.

I didn't want to invest money in a HF or CL yet. So I have circle templates in 5 different sizes. I've used them to do wreaths, arcs, continuous line quilting, and various circle designs. My next project using them will be a pineapple quilt.

I got three of my templates from Off The Edge Quilting at MQS last May. The other 2 came from Constantine Quilts online.

Debbi

Guest Linda S

I have the Circle Lord. It is the bomb for circles! I would never have been able to do this quilt for Marsha McCloskey without it:

Marsha1.jpg

In addition to those big circles, there are tons of little circles all down the sides! I also use the circle maker to make perfect spines for feathered wreaths.

Linda

If you will be at Innovations, take my "Orange Peel" class. I will be talking about and demonstrating all circle methods! I have used them all and feel it sometimes depends on what you are doing. I actually use all except the circle lord (just have not bought it yet). I decide what template/tool depending on what I am doing.

Have you ever taken a class with Dawn Cavanaugh - I am the self appointed president of her fan club....anyway...that girl is so good at "inventing" tools to use around the house. She uses homemade rulers made from plexiglass or whatever, and circles made from coffee can lids, or Tupperware lids. She should write a book on how to use a longarm without purchasing tools.

Love that Circle Lord!!! It's pretty well a no-brainer for getting beautiful circles. I paid for mine over a year and figured that one quilt a month more than paid for it and the extras that I got. I have the King Clams and Baptist Fan and love them both as well. I have to say that I haven't tried other techniques, so I may be a little biased:D

Sandra

Annette,

I like the Hartley fence for perfect circles. I am doing a 35

block crazy-9-patch quilt right now. It is so busy that you

would lose any quilting in it. But big concentric circles give

the quilt just the right amount of quilting without disturbing

the scrappiness of it.

Linda S.

Your work really makes me want a CL. Does anybody have

both these tools? :P I take my HF off the table when not in

use. Can you do that with the CL? Doesn't it do spirals, too?

I just love the treatment you gave to that Marsh McCloskey

applique quilt. It inspired me to do that with the Crazy 9

Patch I am working on. The fabric makes it so busy but the

circles seem to set off the blocks. And the overlapped circle

edges in the sashing is just the right amount of stitiching for

a small area.

Hi everyone.

Thanks for all your good ideas. I actually tried using some stuff from around the house but didn't find anything that worked very well.....I am off to look at websites and try to decide where to start.....I really appreciate everyones input!

Annette

Annette - I agree with Cheryl as to what tool you use, depends on what

you are wanting to do. Just making one circle, then a template might work

but looking at Linda S. (Great quilting by the way!) photo, that is a bunch

of cirlces that you want to ALL be the same size. The Circle Lord is great,

fast, quick and easy to learn from the get-go. Yes Linda in Ramona - it will

lift off of your back table actually quicker than the Hartley, just unlock the

lever and lift off.

The Hartley Fence is also nice, very well built and sturdy. I am keeping and

using both. If you have any questions about this - ask Myrna Ficken - she

knows all and sees all about the HF, has a great workbook on it too!

Not sure if I have helped any or not, but thats my take on it.

Guest Linda S

Linda - I at one time had both the Hartley Fence and the Circle Lord. I now only own the Circle Lord. Michael and Kay have recently developed even more designs for the CL, so it just keeps getting better and better! As Sandra said, if you get the package deal, and put it on the year-to-pay option, you basically have to do one quilt a month to pay for it. Worth every last penny in my book. And, if you ever have any questions, the customer service is excellent!

Linda

Archived