Help with an antique - a quilt, not me!

Hey everyone, am looking for some help.

Does anyone know the pattern of this quilt? (Or a reference book I can refer to?) It was hand pieced in the 40's, maybe the late 30's by my friend's mother, and sisters, the top was never quilted. It is in good shape, no holes, all threads are pretty secure. I believe the white is flour sacks, and the patterned fabric is from that era. I am quilting and binding it for Christmas, so it must go on the frame tomorrow!!! My friend is giving to back to her mother, finished. That's the plan . . . . .

I want to do feathers in alot of the white areas, would that do justice to the history of the quilt or the patterns that were used then? Or should I do a stencil in these areas?

What do I do in the flowers? I am really baffled there - outline, but then what - cross hatch? I want to secure these hand stitched seams as well as possible. I don't mind some type of meandering, but what?

Should I wash the quilt before I start or just spot clean some of the areas? One area looks like it may have a scorch from an iron. I am going to use wool as I love the dimention it gives, and is warm, but lightweight for an elderly woman.

Thanks, any help you can provide will be most appreciated. I just don't have time to do the research. Will post pictures when done.

Joanne Flamand, aka wannabelongarm

Artistic Quilt Designs

post--13461905152308_thumb.jpg

The pattern looks very similar to the Tulip Design published in Household Magazine by Capper's Publications..also known as Capper's Weekly.

I would think that feathers, cables, croshatching would all fit the era. I personally like the idea of a stencil for the flower areas. Go with your gut, it will be beautiful and appreciated no matter what you do. Having it finished will mean bunches to your friend's mother.:)

Archived