Gee's bend quilts

I quilted one of these recently. When I did the research, they said they were simply quilted, often with very large clamshells or with parallel lines. The lines would go perpendicular to the strips, and would change direction over each section, always running perpendicular to the pieced strips, not running parallel to the seams. Because of the piecing on the one I did, the parallel lines thing didn't look right. So I did sweeping arcs, randomly placed, sort of lke clamshells, but irregular in size and spacing. It looked good, and the client liked it. I think wavy lines would also be acceptable, placed a couple inches apart. I have seen them quilted with pantos, but that isn't in keeping with the tradition of the quilts.

This is an interesting question, but of course, I don't have the answer. I think they are interesting quilts due to their very humble beginnings. I'll be watching this post to see what answers you receive.

Are the quilt tops kits from Keepsake? I saw they had several in their catalogs over the past year, but I can't remember seeing how they were quilted.

I've cut and pasted the descriptions of the quilting style on the following website's 'Gees Bend style quilts.'

http://www.rockymountainquilts.com/files/antique_quilts_aa.php

Hand quilting is executed in large echoing arcs utilizing thin white string.

Hand quilting on this quilt is a combination of arc and loosely parallel lines using white string.

There are large gentle arcs as well as areas of straight lines of neat and functional quilting throughout.

The hand quilting on the piece is a combination of diagonal and clamshell quilting.

Wow Vicki thanks. This Will be an easy quilt to quilt. I Think I'll o the multicolored one in Straight lines, but I may do circles (in no particular design just random and some overlaping) on the muted blue and black one - with the one red square.

Of course I'm going to have to wait 2 weeks before I get these bandages off my hand. At least I'll be finished with the hard part of quilting - figuring what I'm going to do!::D:D:D

Archived