Questions

Hi everyone,

I bought a used Millie several years ago and it’s taken me a while to begin using it. I’ve used it regularly now for a few months and am gradually getting more confident. I have several questions for you experienced users.

Needle size: I’ve read several posts here about the importance of needle size. I think it mentioned 4.5. I think I’m using a 4. Most of the new ones I have are 3.5 What size should I be using?

Bobbin winder: I have an on board bobbin winder. It winds the bobbins unevenly. The thread fills us sooner and is thicker on the outside of the bobbin. What can I do to adjust it?

Tension: My tension seems uneven when I look at the back of my quilt. It’s great for several inches and then there’s a few inches when the top thread is poking through. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Movement: My machine still seems somewhat difficult to maneuver. I’ve read through the manual and done everything I can think of but it’s still stiff. It looks like new wheels were installed and I was told the crossbar under the head should have been moved forward too. Would that help? Any other ideas?

When I hold the handles on the freehand side the head wobbles left and right. Is that a problem?

I live in the Minneapolis area. Is there someone who could make a visit to service it and help me out?

I’m making progress on this machine, but sometimes I wonder if I made a mistake buying an older used machine. (2002) I wonder if I would have done better with a new machine or with help at the beginning. I think the machine is fine, I am just not sure I’ve got everything set up right or that I know what I’m doing.

Every time I finish a quilt I’m very excited though. I just want to continue to do better work. I’ve posted a few on my blog:

http://quiltchat.wordpress.com/

Guess I just need advice and maybe a pep talk. All of you on this forum are great. I read often but just don’t post much.

Thanks!!!!

Hi Jan,

APQS machines last a good long time, so yours is still just a baby. ;) If I were you, I'd ship it back to APQS and have them go over it; check the timing, change out the wheels for the new M&M wheels and move the front axle forward. You may also want to take off the bobbin winder and get the Turbo Winder, which has been standard for the last several years.

When you get your machine back, you'll feel like it's brand new! I spent a week working in the tech room when Connie Hurst was still at the plant, and I can tell you that some of the machines that came in were total disasters because of outright abuse! :o They left there purring like new machines.

One machine was SO bad, I took a bunch of pictures. I swear there was HAY inside that machine, mixed with black grease and just plain dirt. It was an Ultimate 1 and the motor was barely hanging on to the back of the machine. BUT that machine was still stitching. It was sent in because the "timing is a bit off". ROFLOL!!

As for needle size, I always use a 3.5 or 4, except for heavy denims & corduroy. Then I switch to a 4.5, or even a 5. The size of your needle should correspond to the weight of thread you're using. I find I need an MR4 for KingTut variegated, but a 3.5 works for just about everything else.

No, your machine should not wobble in any direction! The wheels need adjustment. Really Jan, sending it to the plant for a good go-over would be money very well spent. Then you can spend your time enjoying your machine. :)

If you want some great classes, contact Dawn at APQS. You'll leave with confidence and an arsenal of new techniques.

Hi Jan,

I am also in the Twin Cities. I agree with Darlene, it would be a good idea to make an appointment with Amy to look at your machine. If the machine has never been serviced in Carrol, Iowa, it is time to have it done. I bought my machine used in April '06, and it is an '02. I had never had any issues with it, but last fall it did not sound right. So I called Amy and Dawn, they got me in as soon as they could. Amy started taking the machine apart as soon as it was in the shop. My husband was a little worried that they gals knew what they were doing, but of course they did. Long story short, my machine hums. It is so quiet, moves so smoothly and perfect stitches. I did have the new M & M wheels put on, what a difference those made.

It really is worth taking your machine to Amy. If you have not talked to her, give her a call.

If you decide to take your machine to Carroll, IA it would be only a 5 to 6 hour drive for you and there are some great quilt shops in the area. I took George down a couple years ago. There was a fabric shop almost across the road (down just a bit) from APQS and a great one in Ames. There is a good one in Des Moines, too. Hope it works for you.

Hi Jan,

Congratulations on your new machine! We'd be glad to help you get things working in tip-top shape and would certainly love to see you down in Iowa. We hope to have the class schedule up on the website in the next week or so; be sure to check the "Education and Events" tab for more info.

Now let's tackle your current questions to see if we can get you up and running smoothly:

"I bought a used Millie several years ago and it’s taken me a while to begin using it. I’ve used it regularly now for a few months and am gradually getting more confident. I have several questions for you experienced users.

Needle size: I’ve read several posts here about the importance of needle size. I think it mentioned 4.5. I think I’m using a 4. Most of the new ones I have are 3.5 What size should I be using?"

Jan, the most common needle size for your Millie is MR 4.0. That's the needle size we time the machine to. "Timing" refers to the relationship between the needle and the hook that passes behind it, catching the top thread in the process and forming a complete stitch. As you gain more experience, you may wish to use 4.5 or even 3.5 needles. Save the 3.5 needles for finer thread, or for a time when you and the machine are really "bonding" with each other.

Bobbin winder: I have an on board bobbin winder. It winds the bobbins unevenly. The thread fills us sooner and is thicker on the outside of the bobbin. What can I do to adjust it?

Take a look at the small thread guide on the side of the machine where your bobbin winder lives. It's the one with a hole above the guide, a small "disc" that you wrap the thread around twice to wind the bobbin, and then another hole that helps direct the thread on over to the bobbin.

Loosen the screw holding this guide in place, and slide it slightly toward the machine's body to better center the thread on the bobbin. This should help it wind more evenly; you may need to play with the adjustment just a bit to get it just right:).

Tension: My tension seems uneven when I look at the back of my quilt. It’s great for several inches and then there’s a few inches when the top thread is poking through. Any ideas what could be wrong?[/color}

Tension is one of the biggest learning curves every new quilter goes through when she gets a new machine. Since you are using 3.5 needles often, you'll have lots of "needle flex" as you move the machine, which contributes greatly to tension changes. Take a few minutes to watch this short video that discusses tension, and it may help you solve some of the problems. Or, you can call me any time!

Movement: My machine still seems somewhat difficult to maneuver. I’ve read through the manual and done everything I can think of but it’s still stiff. It looks like new wheels were installed and I was told the crossbar under the head should have been moved forward too. Would that help? Any other ideas?

This can be a little trickier to explain in words, but your next question is a clue to why the machine is not moving smoothly for you. The key is the setting of your "carriage" wheels on the front of your machine. It sounds like you have been able to read the manual a little to understand that we are using the "narrowest" part of the cam (the part of the nut where the hole in the top is closest to the cam's outer edge) as our guide.

We normally advise that the two front cams on the carriage are set so that the narrow portion is pointing to "9:00" when looking down at the carriage from the front of the machine. This setting is "half way" between loose and tight. If you point the narrow portion to 12:00, that's as tight as that wheel can get. If you point it to 6:00, it's as loose as the wheel can get.

However, since you are having some "fishtailing" with the machine and it's hard to move, the solution is actually the opposite of what you might expect. Change the two front cams to make them TIGHTER than their current setting...start with them both pointing toward 10:00, test the machine, move them closer to 10:30, test the machine...etc. It is still okay if the wheels are closer to tight than loose. It will eliminate the wobble and make the machine glide better. Be sure to set the two front wheels to the same place in relation to each other, and tighten the gold bolt on the underside of the wheel to prevent the machine from shifting.

Keep the wheels and rails clean with rubbing alcohol on a soft cloth.

When I hold the handles on the freehand side the head wobbles left and right. Is that a problem?

See the answer above.

I live in the Minneapolis area. Is there someone who could make a visit to service it and help me out?

We have several dealers in southeast Minnesota who may be able to visit and help you check the machine, Jan. Check the "Find a Dealer" page on the website for names and contact information. While many of our dealers are technically savvy, we do not require them to become fully versed in machine maintenance and repair.

You are certainly welcome to schedule an appointment at the factory in Carroll. We work with appointments so that we can devote enough time to each machine and give it the attention it deserves as your baby. If you'd like to visit about a possible appointment, just give me a call and we can talk about available dates.

I’m making progress on this machine, but sometimes I wonder if I made a mistake buying an older used machine. (2002) I wonder if I would have done better with a new machine or with help at the beginning. I think the machine is fine, I am just not sure I’ve got everything set up right or that I know what I’m doing.

I'm certainly prejudiced, but I think APQS machines are the best! We can work with you to make sure everything is hunky-dory; I think a lot of the issue is simply gaining some confidence about the machine and yourself as you get to know it better.

But that's why you have such a great resource in this forum and the friends here, and with the entire team at APQS! We aren't perfect and we mess up, but our hearts are in the right place and we want you to have a blast with that machine...used or new! Let me know how we can help you further!

• 1 month later...

Archived