Inkjet photo transfer

Has anyone ever tried to print photos on 100% cotton fabric using Bubble Jet Set 2000? I have 20 transfers to do and buying the paper backed fabric would be very expensive. I tried this and followed the directions, rinsed in the Bubble Jet Set and they ran like crazy. Anyone have any brilliant ideas? I was so excited when they printed off and it actually worked, then I rinsed them...I am so bummed! :mad:

And as long as I'm at it, could someone please point me in the direction for posting pictures. Thanks

Sheryl

Try printing them on the fabric you get for dyeing. It absorbes so much better. Also, I use an art medium that brushes on and dries to make mine permanent. (I hate to be too graphic but it looks like snot). I got it at Michaels. I just described what I wanted to do and they gave me the "stuff." It works great! Oh, I forgot, did you heat set it? Turn it over face down and iron it with a hot iron.

Guest Linda S

I wrote these instructions up for another site ages ago -- for labels, but you can use it (as I have) for printing photos on fabric also. If you have a newer HP inkject printer, you may want to get the Bubble Jet Set that is made for HP Printers:

How to Print Your Own Labels

I know a lot of people think this is too much work, but I make

my own labels and don't find the process too tedious. Get some

regular muslin (bleached or unbleached doesn't matter). I prewash all

my fabric when it comes into the house, so mine would be prewashed.

Get a 13"x9" glass cake pan that you will never again use for cake

(alternatively, use a kitty litter pan that you don’t plan on the cat using!).

Put your muslin in the bottom of the pan (can be more than one

layer). Pour Bubble Jet Set over the top of it until it is soaked

through. Squeeze out the extra Bubble Jet Set and let the fabric

dry. Using a funnel that you will never use for foodstuffs again,

pour the Bubble Jet Set back into the bottle. When your fabric is

dry, iron it onto some freezer paper. Cut your fabric and paper into

8.5" x 11" sheets. Put it through your printer, as you print your

lovely label design on it. Give the ink a few minutes to dry after it

comes out of the printer. Iron with a hot iron, but do not scorch.

Peel the freezer paper off the label (you might even get like four

labels on one sheet!), put some very hot water into your 13"x9" cake

pan. Add a teaspoon of Retayne. Swish. Lay your sheet of labels

into the pan, being careful not to let the fabric fold in on itself.

Leave for about 10 minutes (yes, you will see a bit of the color float

off, but not much). Remove the fabric from the pan and rinse it in

cool water. Dry. Clean up your mess, label your pan "NOT to be used

for food (or by the kitties!)” and put everything away.

Lovely labels that are permanent!!

I have never had any luck using Bubble Jet Rinse -- as far as I can tell, it does nothing. Retayne will set your inks and they will not come out. Nice, soft, wonderful photos or printing on fabric that make for a wonderful quilt!

Originally posted by saratogaquilter

thanks Heidi! I think we should start a quilters commune. That way we'd all be together and us "under-educated" quilters could learn from you pros. No nasty MIL's, just peace and quiet and un-endless quilting. Oh for that perfect world!

I think I'm going to hang signs all over that say "No Nasty MIL's allowed!" She tried to be my friend last night but has not apologized at all and in fact Sunday told hub's that it is all me and she does nothing wrong. I told hub's she better apologize to my daughter in the least or I'm not playing. I've let hub's take over her doctor's appointments too. LOL we'll see how long it lasts! We may have found a place for her. IT is very pricey but if that is what she thinks she needs so be it. If she decides it is too expensive then she will have to change her way or go stay with one of her other sons. I've had enough.

I'm so glad for your instructions Linda S. I too tried the bubble jet set, and got pretty much a mess! But, I tried a different brand (other that printed treasures) of the pre-made photo fabric and it is stiff and lost about 1/2 the clarity of the photo when washed the first time in cold water. Unfortunately, I had used it on a baby quilt with the baby announcement photo in the center of it. Being a baby quilt I expect it will have to be washed frequently. Hope she doesn't lose the whole photo.

So, when you do this method, the fabric stays soft like fabric instead of stiff?

Guest Linda S

Most quilt shops will have Retayne (and Synthrapol) or you can order it from Dharma Trading Company. They have all supplies for printing, dyeing, painting, etc.

Linda

Archived