batting suggestions please

This quilt top is called Tylor's Tulips. I would like to put a lot of feathering in the open area's. I would like the feathering to really pop. If I use a fat batt would that be enough or should I also put a cotton batting under the fat batt?

This will be my first try at anything like this.

Thanks for all your help

Penny

000_1658.jpg

If you use a Fat Batt you will need to play with the hopping foot....and since Lola doesn't have a hopping foot you need to raise it. I only quilted one quilt with a fat batt on her and she did a wonderful job, but you do need to raise the foot....just remember lower it back once your done.

Also the quilting was very open and big.... Personally I have fallen in love with Wool or Dream puff....those weren't even invented when I used the Fat Batt

Another reminder--if you opt for wool on top, check that the cream color of most wools doesn't shadow through the white. That double white turned-under seam allowance can show as a white stripe with the off-white behind it around the seams--usually only if the white fabric is thinner.

Oh--did I mention how gorgeous that top is?? I can't wait to see what magical feathers you quilt on this one!

Archived