What's everyone working on?

I am working on the third of six tree table runners for one customer. She's giving them as Christmas gifts and wants them finished to hand out to family members on Thanksgiving. These must make at least fifteen of this same design that I've received to quilt all together in the last year. A local quilting teacher taught the class, I think in several places in the area, so lots of people have made it.

I usually like more variety and I have plenty of other quilts on the shelf to do, but I have also gotten to be very fond of this table runner. My very first real customer brought me three of them. I've done a bunch over the last year and now six more all at once!

I get a nice range of things to do usually, which keeps it interesting. I have had repeats of other quilts taught in area classes, too -- but nothing else in this quantity!

Having quilted this one runner design so many times, though, and in a variety of ways, I have come to enjoy doing them as sort of a break from projects that are unique, require more planning, and are more of a challenge. And it's probably because this was the first design I ever quilted for money . . . it seems like an old friend.

On the other hand, I hope someone teaches a new table runner class soon or I might end up having done another 15 or more by the end of 2005!

Mary

Vermillion SD:D

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finished quilting an 80 x 110" quilt for the bed. I used polar fleece for the backing and cotton batting. It gets really cold up here in Northern Minnesota! There wasn't any noticeable stretch in the fleece. I thrilled and surprised! I had to sew 2 pieces together across the width of the fabric (selvage to selvage) and then turned it so the backing seam was parallel to the roller bars-this meant the stretch of the fleece was going top to bottom. It was a quilt top I made a few years ago, without a pattern and noticed I barely caught the fabric in the 1/4 seam allowance in several places. I used Circle Lord Giant Clamshell template which was just perfect for this quilt as it provided enough stitching to secure those frail seams yet not thread heavy. It went really fast. I will get the binding on this weekend and then hoping to be snug as bug all winter long!!

Nancy

• 2 weeks later...

Okay,

Been telling you all for a while now I was gonna put up some pics of my quilts.

Well webshots and I had issues, but I finally got it to understand that I was gonna win.

Here is the website

http://community.webshots.com/user/dragonflyquilts

I put a picture of my husband and I up there that I scanned in yesterday.

Blessings and hugs

Tracey

I just finished one quilt for my best friend - Joanne, and now I am finishing one for another good friend of mine, Sherry.

We all went to a retreat last month, these two girls got theirs done, but mine is only 1/2 done. Hopefully the last week of Decemember is my last week of vacation. Then I hope to catch up a little.

Working at UPS there isn't much down time during December. HO HO HO.....

Barb

Well, today I packed up my car and headed for one of the local quilt shops. I took 3 of my quilts with me, the hot pink and lime LC, the Thimbleberries LC and a "just can't cut it". They each showed a really good representation of my work (e23, free motion and feathers). There were probably 8 ladies in the store all "ooh" ing and "ahhh"ing. Wow, look at the feathers! Gee how did you do that? Then one said "do you have a long-arm?" That was it. The cards and flyers are in the shop, and as I walked out with my next class sample (woven hearts by Trudi Hughes), I mentioned that I did have time in my schedule in case anyone needed something finished.

Oh, and I joined one of the 3 Thimbleberries clubs that starts in January!

Cynthia

Guest Linda S

Oh how fun! I recently got permission from Nichole Webb to shrink one of her pantos to fit my Liberty. Over the Thanksgiving weekend, I took some black Moda fabric and some Superior Tuscany Rainbows thread and pantoed up 3 yards of fabric. I will be making a jacket out of this. It came out fabulously -- I can't even believe I did it! ;) I hope the jacket will be a walking billboard for Stellar Stitches! I'll try to post a pic when I'm all done.

Linda

You girls sound busy and motivated. I needed your inspiration and energy level to get me going again.

I have a quilt on the machine now that I put on to practice. I dont know how to stipple so a friend lent me her stipple panto that she made to help me out. I dont like it at all, makes my back tense up and eventually start hurting.

My dilema is this, I have a paying quilt waiting to go on but I dont know if I want to take this one off or just finish it and then put the customers on? Need to make a decision soon. She was promised the quilt next week and with my school sched it will take me about a week to do it.

BTW, I am really surprised that you all did not comment on the picture I put on my webshots of me and DH, go look and you will probably see why I said this. :D

http://community.webshots.com/user/dragonflyquilts

Blessings and hugs

Tracey

I don't mind doing pantos occasionally but I sure don't want to do too many of them.

One of the reasons I would rather do free motion from the front vs. panto is that if there's a problem (fullness, a thick seam I should avoid or a thick seam I should slow down and go through), I can see it and do something about it. When working from the back with a panto, we're not seeing anything on the quilt that might need our special attention.

I'm finishing up 3 small quilts (40 X 60) for my grandchildren for Christmas. Then I have a top my mother gave me for my daughter, who would like it for Christmas. Then I have to get back to client quilts, I only have 5 in the house at the moment but they were all told it would be after the first of the year.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! so that is why you pin the sides as you quilt:I just got one of my first lessons why you pay attention to the dvd of Dawn's on the loading of the quilt and just why you pin the sides Augh! I am learning as I go. I have loaded my first practice piece of muslin. Although my first pass was not altogether a loss I learned that maybe it is a good Idea to stitch my first line straight across the top, which I did not. It still looked good. but I did not pin the sides as suggested, although I did use the clamps. I got a little off how ever I am pinning now and am looking at this as a practice piece. My batting wrinkeled about a small 4 inch from the right side and I smoothed it out and started my pinning at that point. Better late than never. The wrinkel is there for posterity. (I am just going to pretend it is not!)everything else is clicking right along. I got a little screwed up on the tension until I realized this is just a sewing machine, and what holds true on my little machine holds true on this one. If the top thread lays flat it means that the top tension is too tight and if the bottom lays flat it mean that the top tension is too loose. How easy is that?;)

When pinning the sides and rolling, be sure to get the thin Clover flower head pins that Dawn mentions. I got the wrong ones and made a hole in my canvas. At Innovations M.Q conference, Dawn said it's possible to take a basting stitch every inch or so on the sides to anchor them. She said there are 2 kinds of the Clover flower heads. You want the ones in the small package. While the others look thin also, they don't bend as much. Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Linda S

I just (semi) finished duck quilt #2 last night. I think I will put another dark green border around it (it will have green binding and the back is that same fabric, but in flannel). I could use some quilting suggestions. I have a few in mind that involve water and feathers. I posted it on the quilting suggestions spot, but never received any suggestions to my other quilt there, so thought I would ask here. In this pic the quilt isn't hanging very straight because I hadn't taken all of the paper out of it yet.

Linda

post--13461897607594_thumb.jpg

I can't wait to hone in some skill at this. My tempermental little Libby is giving me some challenges. Having problems with up/down button right now, will call Mark tomorrow. I love looking in on these forums they are so informative. Quilters are the nicest people, so eager to teach and help. I hope when I get good at this I will be able to help people like so many of you have helped me.:) I am having my share of experiences!! I have several of my own quilts to quilt but am working a muslin practice piece right now(Queen size) how many practice pieces did you do before you put a real quilt on?

I haven't touched my machine since installing the Circle Lord on Christmas Day. With the holidays, there was all the family stuff to do. When I did have a mintue, I was piecing.

Today DH is back to work, DS is back to school and I'm ALONE!:D I plan to spend some quality time with the Millennium.

When we added the CL, I only had enough washers to raise roller #2 one washer and we were all snowed in then so I may need to run to Lowe's and get some washers before I can really start quilting. But just getting one loaded will feel good . . especially since it's one of my own tops.

I've had a double 4 patch on point on my machine for 2 weeks...put it on the week before Christmas and said if it gets done by Christmas the DD will get an extra gift....I already had one ready to go. Well, I got about 3 rows done and that was all. Today is the first time I've had to get back to it...took some time to tidy sewing room and assess what was still on my to do list. I will have this done....quilted, not bound by supper time...if I get off the computer!! We are expecting a large snow later this afternoon and tonight...:D sure would be awful to get snowed in!!;)

Cheryl

Hi ladies:

I am a new quilter and longarmer. I quilt for my Guild's Philanthropic program and not for money, though someday I would like to have a quilting business. I made my first big quilt last month and made my own pattern. It was kinda simple, but I have only been p:)iecing quilts and quilting since 2003 so I am very satisfied with my quilt. Its a kingsize quilt. I made it for my sister-in-law who is a breast cancer survivor and a great friend. I don't know how to attach pics yet, so I hope this works....

Sorry so wordy, but I am sooooo happy. I have a Millie and like I say, I had no experience before getting it, this machine is so awesome even a newbie like me can use it and everything I do with it turns out great. To me that really says something about these machines... Everybody please have a great New Year!!!:)

post--13461897607916_thumb.jpg

Archived