Stitch regulator Hesitating

I am stitching at 11 spi, when I have the machine head within 6" of the back levller bar the stitch regulator hesitates/ really sluggish when moving from the right to left at the front of the machine.

It was only happening at 2-3" from the leveller bar but now the "no go" gap is getting bigger.

Is it my encoder wheels going yuck!!! I have the carriage ones in as far as they will go - my husband as even drilled the hole bigger to push them in further!

Lyn

I had a fraying thread from a torn selvage bind up as I got to a section in my quilting area. It was binding up the machine's movement. Took a while to figure out it was something so simple.

Check the wheels, sides of the backing...maybe there is a wild thread getting caught on the carriage, panto handles, wheels...something.

Good luck!

I feel that it may be the weight of the machine once it is at the very back of the carriage.

But how can I adjust the encoder wheels to accomodate that.

As the machine is over 3 years old and hundreds of quilts quilted I think it would be easier for me just to buy new encoder wheels. As it only started happening in the last month and is getting progressively worse.

Lyn

Lyn,

Try compensating for the weight shift by tightening your front carriage wheel cams a bit. This prevents the front of the carriage from "popping up" a bit as the weight moves to the back (and consequently causes a slight shift as to where your encoder wheels hit the larger wheels.

Also check the cables as someone mentioned earlier...when the machine is as far back as it can go, the carriage encoder wire harness is stretched out fully. If there's a bit of wear on the wire from all that bending back and forth, it can cause sporadic signals to be sent as the wires flex.

Does the problem only happen when you quilt in one direction or both?

Hi Lyn,

Remember we talked about the rubber wheels slipping in class. I know your husband drilled out the encoder mounts so you had more adjustment, but the rubber wheels might need changing so they have more tread on them to grip in the larger carriage wheel. :)

• 4 months later...

Archived