How to charge for batting

If this has been covered in a previous thread, please direct me to the thread.

How do you calculate the price you are going to charge for batting? If I cut straight across the roll of batting and don't use all of it for the customer, do you give them the waste and charge for the batting you cut off the roll or keep the waste and only charge for what you used.

What is the average percentage you use for markup? Assume our prices need to be about the same as from a quilt store? Otherwise it would be more beneficial for customer to buy batting from quilt store and then we have to cope with the wrinkles.

I was going to try to use a per square inch charge--does anyone do this?

Thanks

I charge by the inch, I set up a spreadsheet in excel that calculates the total by the sq inch for each of my fees for E2E, custom, etc. I also tied one of the calculations to batting for the size of the quilt plus 8 inches for length and width.. so when I calculate a fee for a quilt, I just plug in the length and width of the quilt and I get a list of fees for any of my quilt fees and/or batting. The customer then only pays for what I use plus 4 inches on each side of their quilt and I use what is left for either a smaller quilt/ table runner or if too small, cut up into pieces that I use for cleaning my hook area and rails. I only carry 90" wide batting so if they need anything bigger, they usually purchase from the LQS, which only carries QD. Sorry I went on so long, was that helpful at all?

I sell batting by the linear inch. My LQS sells mostly cut batts so selling only what the customer needs often saves them money and waste.

My retail price is calculated by doubling the cost of the batting and adding the freight charges. So an example of the math is:

30 yard bolt = 1080 inches

$100 cost divided by 1080 inches = .093 dollars per inch

$22 shipping per 1080 inches = .02 dollars per inch

retail price = (cost x 2)+ shipping= .206 dollars per inch or

21 cents per inch of length.

I cut straight (as possible) across the 93" bolt and send extras/trimmings home with the customer, after all they paid for it.

I would think the problem with only charging for the square inches used is that you will have odd trimmings and bits that you can't use and you won't get paid for.

Just my opinion

I am in complete accord with Leslie.

I purchase batting wholesale--rolls only except for a few wool batts--and take the retail charge from most stores to figure a cost per running inch.

If the quilt is 85" X 100", the piece of batting I cut is 94" (the width of the roll) by 106"--the standard extra most quilters insist upon. I charge for the 106" length and give them the quilt either untrimmed or trim for them and they get the bits back in their bag.

More customers are bringing their own batting, I think because they know they will save some cash if they find a sale. One customer keeps her roll of W&W stored in my studio.

I use package batting, which I get at wholesale prices. I double the price, then take 75% of that amount, then add a flat $5 for shipping. That way, they get a deal over what they would pay at a quilt shop, which makes them more inclined not to bring me batting. I only give them the useable pieces of batting. They don't want a striip 3" wide by 118 inches long and would prefer I throw it out. I donate these pieces to a guild member who uses them to make small crafts. If I am doing something like a small wall hanging, I will charge a minimum amount for batting, if I have a scrap left over from something of mine..maybe $5 or so.

Thanks for much for your help. I was leaning toward the square inch method Vickie and glad you addressed the size of batting. I had wondered about the extra batting needed on the long arm.

I will probably calculate both methods in case customers want the excess batting. I do charity quilts and still do a lot of practicing so I can use the excess scraps.

I carry 122" QD batting in 5 types and charge by the linear inch. I do a lot of full size quilts and they can purchase by the narrowest measurement. I double the wholesale price and shipping charge. I keep the extra as compensation for the storage of the rolls and the cutting of the batting etc which client does not have to do. If they have baby quilts and I can get two out of one width I only charged for the linear inches and they got 2 baby quilts out of it. If I have left overs at some point that will fit a baby quilt I think I will keep them and price them according to linear inch size. The extra cost will again pay for storage. The price is still less than they would have paid for packaged at LQS

Archived