red snapper casings

I have red snappers ordered and expected any day now, so I suppose I should get a casing made for them. My machine isn't very old so the leaders are like new. I don't really want to take them off to sew a casing. I've watched Ranae's video, but I'm looking for any more advice (i.e. courage) that is out there. Does it matter which direction the casing is folded? It looks like a job that an extra set of hands might make easier.

Lynne I had zippers already attached so I made mini-leaders and attached them with zippers. Maybe somebody that added the casings to the machine leaders will pop in. I didn't have any problem sewing my zippers on using the longarm. You just have to go slow. Of course extra hands always work! LOL You could pin your leaders together so that it holds the leaders out while you stitch the casing.

Love the extra zippered mini leaders with the red snappers. I had a quilt on the machine (mine) and needed to remove it to do a customer quilt...........ZIP .... off came my quilt still attached with the red snappers. I have another set of mini leaders with zippers and had some extra red snappers pieces, so made them work for smaller quilts ! Snapped the customer quilt on and away I went. All I have to do when I am ready is zip the other quilt back on and I am ready to roll again. I have extra snapper pieces because I float my quilt tops and didn't need them for the top roller leader. Worked great for me.

I don't know how to put a link into this box. If you do a search for user "gator" and select 6 months, look for a post that says Red Snappers now with pics (January 2011), I posted pics of my machine with the red snappers and a

"mini leader". Zippers compbined with the red snappers are great. I you didn't want to get zippers you could "safety or straight pin" the mini-leaders onto your canvas (I'm not a fan of velcro). The mini-leaders will lenghten the life of your canvas. Another good use of the zippers is to straighten your canvas after long term use, because you can zip the leaders together and spritz them back into place. Whatever you do, don't take your canvas off, it's a pain to get back on straight. You will love the RS.

Archived