Quilting a machine embroidered quilt

I did one for a friend. The embroidery was dense and I was concerned too. She said go for it and I did. I did not have one single problem. The first one I did for her, she wanted me to go around the embroidery and she did not like how it turned out so I got to frog that one.

Rona,

Just slow down a little bit when you're going over the embroidery and you should be fine. I usually go around the embroidery myself, just because I like the way it looks better. I use monofilament thread and outline the design and also do some stitches within the design to hold things down. Then I use a complimentary thread color on the rest of the quilt. Works out great for me this way. I do a lot of embroidery so have had a lot of practice with this. :)

I have had several to do over the last 2 years as the LQS held some classes on embroidery. I outlined each embroidery and then did a fill in the backgrounds...this is one I did and used the piecing as a guide as to how I quilted the background.

2896693360104810669S425x425Q85.jpg

Another one I just ran right over the embroidery as it was not very dense or large...

2285863900104810669S425x425Q85.jpg

I was afraid to quilt over it as I would afraid that a thread would catch but it didn't. So I guess the right answer is talk to your customer and see what she wants first...

We just did an all over on one and the customer was thrilled with it. She wanted to try one first because she has so many and can't afford custom. She not only said she would start bringing the rest of them to us, she is sending her embroidery friends our way!! We didn't have any problems quilting it either. We were afraid it wouldn't look good but some people just can't afford custom so we wanted to give it a try. Glad we did! Vicki those quilts are gorgeous!

I've done lots of embroidered quilts. Can you post a photo?

In fact I have a machined red-worked Santa one on my machine right now. My plan is to ditch the blocks and mostly do wintery/ Christmasy backgrounds around the Santas. The way this one is done I won't sid around them but bring the filler up real close. I'll also add some detail in the Santa's themselves to keep the quilting density more even.

McTavishing around floral embroidery works very well with some sid around the individual shapes in the embroidery to set it off .

Archived