T-Shirt Quilt Construction

I use a mid to light weight fusible interfacing. Pellon is the last brand I bought.

I just got the Freedom - but used Invisible thread with the old machine - I DO NOT want to hurt Squiggy - so what sort of thread do the rest of you use on your tshirt quilts?

Welcome to the forum!!

Not sure of the brand name I used, wish I had kept that, everyone asks. I was told by the life-long employee from JoAnns what to use, and it worked great!! Too bad she has retired now..... the new young girls at the new store have always screwed-up and tried to give me back MORE money (than I was owed) when I check-out..... I don't think I would ask their opinion on anything.

Mine was done in black. There are some really bad - gooey things out there. I have broken needles on sticky thick small wall hangings - so I know what you are talking about!

Hopefully someone else will jump in here with the name of it.

I have had excellent results with Pellon SF101 Shape Flex 100% Cotton Woven Fusible Interfacing sold in a 5-yard package at Joanns. I have a Millennium and have had no problems with broken needles, sticky stuff, etc. I used Superior SoFine thread in a grey for the latest t-shirt quilt.

I am working on one right now, piecing now, quilting tomorrow. I use a lightweight pellon from JoAnn's when I have coupon, or when they do the 50% off sale. Best time to buy if you are doing this for a customer. I have heard other quilters say they use a jersey type iron on interfacing because it gives the quilts a softer feel. It is much more expensive, if you can recoup the cost you would be okay.

Sewbee - as for thread I use a 40 wt poly form A & E. I like something a little thicker because at certain directions the thread tends to sink down into the nap of the t-shirt.

I have tried to make Circle Lord patterns in blocks of plain t-shirts, but it didn't really seem worth the effort, because part of the design would disappear into the shirts.

I usually just do freehand stuff from the front only on these type of quilts. Nice to be able to go around those really puffy painted areas of logos.

Color depends on the t-shirts - or what the customer wants. Good Luck and have fun!

Archived