masculine pantograph or quilting ideas

I have a quilt to quilt for a little boy. The blocks are a giraffe print sashing brown with different size polka dots, and blue "alligator" print. Back is brown different size polka dots. They want something boyish. I'm considering drawing a larger giraffe and trees for a pantograph, but haven't done that before. Any suggestions for freehanding or a pantograph? Thanks, Jane

This has worked for me---

If you want giraffes and trees, use the fabric for inspiration and draw both in the size you want on a piece of cardstock. Cut out and use that as a template to trace around with chalk to mark the quilt top. Place the images randomly, remembering to flip the template and trace some mirror images. Make them count by placing where the stitching will show. After you have traced them within the stitching field, use your favorite meander to travel between the images. I would do a large puzzle meander or medium loops. Head toward a giraffe and attach at any point--stitch around your traced line and exit at the starting point. Travel to the next image and repeat. When you advance, mark the next area.

It is more interesting than an overall, you can mindfully place the images where they will show, and it will be completely original. It sounds like a cute quilt!

Archived