T-shirt quilt

Does anyone have any ides for me. I am quilting a t-shirt quilt with wiil batting, as I get in to the t-shirts I am getting puckers. It really seems extra bulky. would it be helpful to raise my hopping foot and if so how would I do that? I am new to this forum so i hope this goes through I could use the help.:)

i use a woven fusible stabilizer, making sure that the non-stretchy width lays with the stretch in the t-shirt, if that makes sense. i want to minimize that t-shirt stretch as much as possible. and in thinking about your issue, i realized that i do not do a t-shirt next to another t-shirt. i always have sashing or a cotton fabric block next to the t-shirt blocks. so i don't get a stretchy block butted up against another stretchy block. make sense? and then i put on a 2-3 inch inner border before i put on a wider border. just the way i do it. others will step in here as soon as they get back from treating those father's to their father's day dinners! post a pic if you can demonstrating your puckers.

Thank you for the great information, the quilt does have sashing around each t-shirt. I seem to have a lot of drag while quilting. Dawn at APQS was able to email directions on raising my hopping foot I will see if that helps my problem. I was just glad to get any kind of reponse knowing that it was Fathers day. And I just needed to walk away from the project to put my head on straight.

I've done plenty of t-shirt quilts, with and without sashing. It sounds like the stabilizer used on this quilt may have been ironed on with the 'stretch' of the stabilizer in the same direction as the 'stretch' of the t-shirt material. Regardless, I agree that you need to raise your hopping foot. If you have the manual for the machine, the info on raising the hopping foot is in there.

Good luck and don't be too frustrated. This should be an easy fix.

Lynn

Thanks Lynn I needed your encouraging words. I took the night off and thought about my problem. I will raise the hopping foot tonight and see what I come up with. I am not wrong in thinking its OK to stitch through the t-shirts am I? I just can't be frogging them anymore. Or I'll have to buy a really cool patch for the customer to put in that spot.

Shirley

Those are great ideas, I could see a tissue paper like product might elimimate the grab on the t-shirt. This quilt was suppose to be my easy project after having just finished a big quilt. So much for my thinking. I have been learning something on every quilt I quilt. It has been fun.

Shirley

Archived