Small burr on tip of needle

I have had a 2000 millennium, and recently upgraded to a new millennium. When I first got it, I thought I was breaking bottom line thread more than I had before, but I thought I just needed to get familiar with my new machine, and I needed to slow down.

So, now I have had it about a month, and noticed I am having bearding issues. These quilts have a darker back, so the bearding is visible. I have never had to change my needle so many times before. I have quilted 4 quilts and changed the needle 6 times. After a while of quilting this morning, I hear the needle popping through the quilt again, and I was thinking that there is no way my needle needs changed already? So I thought I would check it anyway? And the burr I had just changed out a couple hours ago was back. That made me check the old needles I have been taking out, and they all have the burrs. I have looked in the bobbin area, and I can't see the needle hitting anything.

I am hoping someone on here might have an idea?

I have not changed anything or adjusted anything, because I figured it just came from the factory, there can't be anything wrong with my new millennium, it has to be me, but I haven't had any accidents yet, haven't hit a pin or ran over anything? No rulers nothing. I haven't shoved a bobbin in, that didn't want to go in. Nothing?

I hope someone might have an idea - thanks

Star

Starlit Bear, something must be causing your needles to get a burr. Even tho' the machine is new and straight from the factory, take the bobbin out and look up through the bobbin as the needle comes down. Check the needle stops in the right position when it is down and check to see if it is making contact with the bobbin basket or hook at any time in the rotation. Your manual will show you exactly where the needle should be if everything is adjusted right.

You could also check that the needle bar is properly centered. Something may have shifted during shipping and is probably an easy fix.

Good luck!

Initially when I received my new machine I spoke with APQS and mentioned that the needle was not in the center of the hopping foot, they said that can be the case. I guess I should send them a picture of my needle, iwill check the needle positions again, but I really thought I had.

I will keep looking.

Thanks

I can change out the bobbin case and see. I have a few different ones I used in my old machine. And the needles should be fine. I bought a case whith my old machine and I went back to those. I was a little hesitant at first because the were MR 3.5, but that hasn't made a difference. I even felt the needle before I used it, and it was fine. After quilting the burr is small, it just gets worse the longer I quilt.

Thanks for all of your help, I will test the cases,

Star

I have to agree with Gretchen....I've had this same thing happen me, but it also was in connection that my needles (a brand new box and the correct formal) were just a smig longer than my older box. I borrowed one of Gene's Micrometers and did a measure test and the newer ones were just longer enough that they were catching the edge of the bobbin and nicking the edge and creating a burr on the needle. double check the inside of the bobbin cases that you have been using to see if there are tiny marks...it takes a while for them to really show up of enough that you can feel with your finger. I too had to raise my needle bar, just a tiny tiny hair and then all was great, but when I got my next box I had to remember to lower it back to where it was.

Archived