second guessing self

I would like your thoughts please. I loaded this quilt and put the basting stitch in, as I stitched it it looked like the fabric is starting to "run". Is this my needle or the fabric? This needle has done one quilt aprox. 60 x 80 with no problems. I took the needle out because I needed a different size needle for my other projects and then put it back in for this quilt. I pulled all the stitching out as I called the owner of the quilt and told her what was happening. I don't know the cause of this as it's a new one to me and she has decided she wants to put new boarders on. I hate loading and then unloading a quilt. UGHh. I'm second guessing myself because I'm wondering if I should have tried some other steps before calling the quilt owner. It's being donated to a good cause.

post--1346190651443_thumb.jpg

Hi Connie,

I don't have much experience with the longarm, but if this were happening on my dsm I would change to a different type of needle, like a ball point instead of a sharp. I don't think that is an option with the needles for our longarms, someone else with more experience might know differently. Not to be a wet blanket, but if this is happening with the border, what's it going to do in the quilt body? It looks like the same fabric is part of the body of the quilt, too.

I hope it all works out.

I have not had this happen to me in the past...but, I think you did the correct thing and notify the quilt owner early on. I would test the same piece (that is already going to be replaced) with a new sharp needle to see if the results are better.

I can't really see on the photo what the problem is, but if it is a streak of pale thread running either horizontally or vertically from a stitch, it is a thread pull caused by the displacement of the thread. This happens with fabric that is heavily dyed and where the back looks paler.

When the larger longarm needle pushes through the fabric it pulls it slightly and what you see is the un-dyed thread that would normally nestle under the warp/weft of the fabric. It is displaced and shows up as a dotted streak.

The high speed of our machines makes this hard to control. The thread is not broken so a ball point needle won't help. A smaller needle might but no guarantee.

I run into this especially with Thimbleberry fabrics. It even happens with a DSM sometimes when just piecing.

The solution? If your customer has her heart set on this fabric, stitch away and tell her to purchase a Pigma pen in a color to match her fabric and color in the streaks. Yes, this really works and has been done for years!!;)

Yes, it is undoubtedly due to the thead being either pulled a hair (literally) out of place or by the thread being "rolled" to the undyed side. As others have stated, some fabrics are really terrible about this and it will happen on the DSM, too, no matter what needle you use. Upsetting, I know. Let the cutomer decide how to proceed.

Archived