??? on quilting around photo blocks

I have been asked to quilt a quilt that will have 3 or 4 photo blocks that are about 10". They do not want any stitcfhing across the photos, but I am wondering if there is a way to hold those down so they don't puff up too much from the quilting around them, It will be a combo of 9 patch blocks, plain blocks with scripture verses embroidered on them and the photo blocks, I could see CCs in the 9 patches and ??? in the embroidered blocks. It will be a while before they have it finished and ready for me, but thought I would pick your fabulous minds and be ready. :D The quilt is to be a commemorative quilt for their church's 100th anniversary.

Thanks!!!!

The quilt sounds like a great commemoration of the anniversary of the church, but.....

You must use your powers of persuasion and your professionalism to convince the church group that a 10" photo block is too large to be left without quilting. I assume the quilt will be hung and after a short time those unquilted blocks will pull and sag. Use Monolon if you have it and outline the objects in the photos. Nothing quilted on faces, but enough quilting that there are no spaces larger than 2" square on the blocks. The photos will be so much more interesting with some dimension added by the quilting. If they are still resistant, perhaps do a demo/mock-up to show one photo block unquilted and one quilted.

They will be photos of the church building - original and present day, so there will be some nice straight lines to follow along the roof, etc. I am sure they will take my advice - they are members of my quilt group. I think they were thinking of an all over meander going across the photos and I wouldn't want that either. I do have Monolon thread and would use that. I thinksome of the pictures will be in color, so that will help camoflague (sp) some of the stitches.

It will be a fairly large quilt too. Hung at the church for a while and then presented to their pastor who is retiring next year. I was honored that they had confidence in me to do this project ! It isn't needed until May, but they are getting it done now - Thank Goodness ! Hopefully, I will have a good long time to work on it and not rush.

I'll tell them I sought advice from the "pros" !!! :) Thanks !

Originally posted by ffq-lar

You must use your powers of persuasion and your professionalism to convince the church group that a 10" photo block is too large to be left without quilting.

Agree! I have quilted several photo quilts and when they are larger than 5 inches I always quilt in the photo. However, comma, when doing so, I use a neutral thread that is thinner (like So Fine or Bottom Line) and I make every effort to quilt around the heads and faces. I never quilt through faces. I quilt from the front of the machine and meander around, avoiding faces. I've done several like this and they all turn out great. You don't even see the stitching; it's practially invisible.

I was thinking, too, that a firmer batting such as Warm & Natural or along those lines would work better than a fluffier batting. ????

Maybe I will play around with a photo block and show them what it can look like. I don't think there are going to be any people in their photos - just their church building at various stages of its life. They showed me what they planned to use, but they were very small and being enlarged.

Linda you have received good advice. My favorite combinations for wallhanings is to use a flatter denser batting like QD poly or dream blend in a med. thickness and then a layer of wool on top. I've teased wool down to two layers and just used that very thin layer on top and it gives such a beautiful show but you also have the firmness for the wall hanging.

Linda, can you sample some of the Invisifil thread from Wonderfil? That is a "clear" colored poly 100 wt thread that I have used on George. They have some taupe/tan that blends into most anything as well as a cream. I think they would work well with the pictures and not be noticeable at all. If you need a place to get some, All in Stitches in Stewartville, MN carries it.

Originally posted by Neher-in-law5

Linda, can you sample some of the Invisifil thread from Wonderfil? That is a "clear" colored poly 100 wt thread that I have used on George. They have some taupe/tan that blends into most anything as well as a cream. I think they would work well with the pictures and not be noticeable at all. If you need a place to get some, All in Stitches in Stewartville, MN carries it.

Yes, I have some. It is nice ! I also love the Monolon.

Archived