ideas for this hunter star??

Guest Linda S

How about SIDing the Stars, put a Square wreath or stencil motif in the squares created by the QSTs, and then a simple sashing design in the lines between the stars? You can use the stencil half for the triangles around the edge. Then maybe piano key the border.

Linda has great advice!

If she wants the stars to pop, they need to be left un-quilted. SID is the solution but can she afford that custom stitching?

Another solution to make them more noticeable is to CC them with a contrasting thread. If you have some Metro in a medium or lime-y green, using that on the stars will show well. The stars grade from white with black to white with pale gray, so the colored thread will show up on all the fabric colors. Or if you have a Rainbows that has the blue/green/lime colorway, that would be a good choice as well.

I had a Hunter's Star this year where I CC'd the stars and placed the same leafy motif in both sides of the "arrow" shape. It needed only two thread color changes to do that, and yours will need more since your dark halfs grade from deepest blue-green to pale lime green. Hmmmm....

Maybe your best solution would be to use Monolon?

What have you decided upon so far?

About a year or so ago, I quilted a hunter star similar to this one. What I did was do meandering swirly curly things in the background as filler and then I would meander around until I came to a the edge of a star and stop, grab my ruler and SID around the entire thing, then I would go off where I came on and meander swirly to the next star, stop, grab the ruler, SID, go off, meander, repeat repeat. No stopping and starting! It went FAST! and looked great too. :)

Thanks everyone! I am really having trouble deciding on thread colour too. I actually had this one loaded (for days!!) I took it off 'cause it was giving me so much stress. Now it has to go on. Will post pics when I've figured it out. Thanks for the suggestions. they are all great.

Tracey

I'd let the stars stand for themselves, by echoing inside of them, perhaps having a small circle in the center. You could do an arrow type of border, to compliment the star shapes. It seems like masculine designs are about being bold and straight. Perhaps chevrons or multiple squares in the quarter square triangles. I was playing with echoing the star arms into the sashing, so they look like arrows, too.

I have done three of these. CC in the stars to just set off the shape. Then do line dancing along the arrow point shapes. A curve and a couple of loops. I would use two colors of thread actually. I'd do green in the greens and mother goose or ecru in the rest. I can send you a picture of some of the ones I've done if you want.

Originally posted by chickenscratch

I have done three of these. CC in the stars to just set off the shape. Then do line dancing along the arrow point shapes. A curve and a couple of loops. I would use two colors of thread actually. I'd do green in the greens and mother goose or ecru in the rest. I can send you a picture of some of the ones I've done if you want.

That would be awesome Theresa!!!! Thanks so much. I'd appreciate seeing them.

tracey

Archived