Website for Quilters question

Good morning, I think that I'm going to have "Websites for Quilter's" design a site for me. I know several of you have used them for your site. They used to have a different name, this is the same company that Superior Thread promotes. My question is how much do they charge per month for the site after it's posted? I've had a Homestead/Intuit site for about 3 years but haven't developed it yet. Time just isn't my friend.

Guest Linda S

Wowee. I designed my own site using iWeb (I have a Mac) and it didn't take long. I have my domain name through namesecure.com which was not very expensive. I have hosting on webhostingpad.com and think I just renewed for three years for $75. Cheap, cheap, cheap, but over the last several years, very reliable.

Guest Linda S

I just checked - my web hosting is $2/month, my domain name is $2/month. I also have email forwarding which probably costs an extra dollar. $5/month vs. $49 is a clear choice to me.

So, if you know anyone with an iMac or MacBook, it should have iWeb on it. The website nearly builds itself. You can copy and paste my page about how to prepare your quilt, etc., and even my pricing page and just substitute your own prices if you like. I got that info by selecting items from other friends' pages who offered to share. Just don't copy my pictures!! Of course, your own pictures will be nicer than mine. :)

Connie,

I would imagine the monthly cost from Websites for Quilters has to do with them making sure your website appears toward the top of the list when someone googles quilting (search engine optimization).

I had my website developed by a local woman in Duluth, MN who worked for the Department of Natural Resources doing computer stuff and then went on her own. I felt comfortable going with someone who lived in town. Her name is Jane Reed with Red Pebble Web Design:

http://www.red-pebble.com/webdesign.php

I paid an initial development fee, but now only pay for domain name and web hosting annual fees of about $75.00. She is always available to me if I need assistance, for a small consulting fee.

It sounds like a question to ask would be is how much your business would benefit from the search engine optimization. If you have the money, go for it. But, if not, there are other ways of marketing to get your name out there.

Guest Linda S

You all make a good point about search engine optimization. Webhostingpad has an arrangement with OrangeSoda for website promotion. I've sent a request for an estimate to them.

Please understand I have nothing against Websites for Quilters -- it's just that I'd like to help save you money where I can. :)

Guest Linda S

Yes! They were great. I haven't had the chance to do a lot with them, but have made a few items for some members who wanted especially the old logo. Thanks again!

Archived