Question about Leaders

Giftedhands

I've been having problems lining up my quilt tops. I'll attach a photo of my leaders...I notice there is a green mark on all three leaders, that were there when the rollers arrived. I look at the ends (on the left and the right) and the leaders don't roll up nice and neat on-top of each other, they are off.

Since I've been using them for 2 years, I also find that I have to press the edge flat, because it rolls under.

Anyone?

HI Jeannne, this is off topic but where are you in Kansas City. Sorry but I haven't noticed the Kansas City before. What machine do you have and are you in the MO-Kan Guild? Amazes me that it has grown from 17 of us machine quilters to over 100 mostly longarmers. I'm in Independence.

My leaders do the same. Do you unroll them all the way and smooth them out and twist them tight from the center as you wind them back up every now and then? Seems to help mine alot but I don't have a motorizzed feed so it may be different. I have new leaders for mine that I will put on soon (I hope) as mine have simply gotten kind grubby over the last 4 years and several hundred quilts. Plus I've run over them more than once with the wheels. :D

Hi Jeri,

I'm in Kansas City North, Mary Beth is about a mile from me also. I just noticed your address also. Small world. I have an Ultimate I that I bought used last year. I put a deposit on it at MQS in O.P. Ks, but didn't take delivery until July, so I've had it a little over a year. I'm not in the MO-Kan guild. Is it for LAer's? I'm in the Nitetime Needlers quilt guild.

I don't unroll them like you mentioned, apparently I need to. I don't have a motorized feed either. Just the basics!! But I love it. My email address is at the bottom if you want to email me about anything. It's great to find people from our area!

Hi, Mary Beth is in Mo-Kan, we took part of Dawn's class on heirloom quilting last March up in Des Moines together--the one that Dawn filled in for Sherry Rogers. MMM I'm using some of Dawn's ideas on the quilt I'm currently working on. Can't wait to see it finished.

Yes, it's for all machine quilters no matter what the machine type however, most have longarms and it is geared toward that. I've met many wonderful people and have leaened so much from the group.

I'd get the schedule for the upcoming programs but it's my car, which is ouside in the pouring rain and I'm ready for bed--so later on that.

I love my non-motorized table. I've been using a friend's machine as mine is a hostage at the moment (long story) Her's is motorized and I don't like it. I had been thinking of upgrading but Noooo way!! It's just way too slow and I have to fight to get the tension I want on the quilt. I miss my machine, but soo appreciate my friend's generosity with hers.

Once I get my machine here and we all survive the holidays I'm thinking of hosting a play day for those in the area who have APQS machines. We will put on some junk muslin and play. I do think that would be fun. Of course it would include chocolate and other food groups and music to quilt by. jeri

Marybeth, don't worry about what the sides look like. It is the center marks that you are concerned with. When my machine came from the factory only the take up canvas was marked. I had to mark the other two. It was suggested (I believe by Dawn C) that you put a piece of masking tape or painters tape on the canvases that weren't marked, then pull them out to reach the take up canvas and mark (on the tape) matching it up to the center mark on the take up canvas. Repeat this for the other unmarked canvas.

Over time you may get some shifting of the canvases, so just reposition the tape to match the center mark on your takeup canvas.

Hope that made sense.

Patty

Hey Jeri can I come your play day.......................you did mention chocolate :)

I have an idea about the shifiting on the canvas. Canvas is a prettly large weave of fibers and it is also pretty still when new. Over time could it be that the constant handling and rolling and unrolling just simple causes the weave to become streached as it is pulled tight with each quilt. This pulling in one direction and streaching woudl cause it to shrink in the other direction?

Just a theory.

Archived