Earthquake in VA

I felt all the aftershocks! The 4.2 was shaken, but didn't last as long as the first one. I'd like not to have any more aftershocks period, but if there are any more to come, I'd prefer daylight hours:o

I agree with you Linda, I don't think anyone ever gets used to earthquakes!

Cheryl, I am hearing that we had another aftershock at 12:45 am, I slept through it (thanks to benedryl), but others have noticed it...someone sent me this website which is interesting...

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Maps/US10/32.42.-85.-75.php

I was downstairs quilting again and had just stopped to go pick up my son in law who spent 3 1/2 hours on the train trying to get home from DC last night when the aftershock at 8 hit, weirds me out and I was glad I wasn't quilting again...

I have some cracks in my walls and ceiling I have to call my ins co to see if they'll cover, but also have to prepare for the incoming hurricane next....

Thanks Anne, it took me a minute to figure out what was going on and then shock at the fact that we actually were having an earthquake. Someone described the noise as a rumbling that gradually faded away as the shaking stopped and they were right. A new one for me!

Quilting like crazy now trying to finish a quilt before this weekend's storm....Oh brother!

I felt the quake in Philadelphia. I was in work which is about 7 miles from home and the tall file cabinets were rocking, my monitor was shaking and banging into a metal shelf, then we could really feel the floor shaking, my coffee sloshed out of the top of my mug and spilled on the papers I was working on...scary stuff.

I did not feel the aftershocks, though.

I spent most of the day trying to get a quilt finished (which I did not do) and get ready for this next storm....I am worried that we will find ourselves without power for a few days after it hits....

The base near me has been doing something with artillary which keeps me guessing if it is an aftershock or them...we have had 9 aftershocks and I have felt some of them...it keeps me on edge...now this storm....

I think we deserve a nice mild winter don't you?

Vicki,

We just got home after a 15 1/2 hour drive. We decided not to take 95 this time because we were afraid it would be a parking lot all the way up the east coast. Took us about 2 hours longer going 81N but it was an easy non-stressful drive. It is so beautiful going through the mountains. I'm glad to be home but missing Kailey already. Tomorrow we'll be doing what we can to make sure everything outside is secure and get ready for what we think will be mainly a rain event here.

Praying the kids makes it through the storm safely tonight. DIL's parents are staying with them because they were evactuated from their home which is right across from the beach in Atlantic Beach. I pray you are safe as well as all our other APQS guys and gals along the east coast.

A mild winter would be nice:D What is that old saying...if spring comes in like a lamb, winter roars in like a lion and if spring roars in like a lion then winter comes in like a lamb...I probably really mess that up. So I am sitting here trying to remember what spring did? If I remember right, which could be wrong, it was really nice.

Vicki...we'll have to meet up one day. You are not to far away from me!

Heidi, I saw some pictures of the traffic on I95. It was very heavy, so you were smart to go I81!

Cheryl, we should meet up one day, once in a while several of us go down to Millstone Quilt Shop, do you ever go there and if so, I'll let you know the next time we go and maybe it will work out to meet! And I think you are right - I do remember a nice spring - uh oh!!!

Heidi, that is a pretty drive, we used to do it all the time to visit my dtr and her family when she lived down in Nashville, but now that they have moved here - no more....the one thing I didn't like though is the 18 wheelers, I know they are on 95 too but you see them before they are on top of you... yep I-95 was a parking lot - good call!

Originally posted by Primitive1

Heidi, that is a pretty drive, we used to do it all the time to visit my dtr and her family when she lived down in Nashville, but now that they have moved here - no more....the one thing I didn't like though is the 18 wheelers, I know they are on 95 too but you see them before they are on top of you... yep I-95 was a parking lot - good call!

We figured that we would easily spend 2 hours in traffic on 95 so that would have put us home in the same amount of time either way. 81 was so relaxing and no tolls so a bonus. Of course we used more gas so that made the tolls an even trade but just to relax and not have to start/stop too many times made it nice. There was some construction going on and that really slowed us down about 30 mins. total.

Be SAFE!

Oh my goodness earthquakes are indeed scary as well we know here in NZ so I certainly do have sympathy for those of you who felt these. Not exactly a fun experience I know. Pleased everybody is OK.

I have been away sewing with 3 quilting friends for the past 5 days in a lovely little village, Hanmer Springs which was surrounded by snow. There were hot pools where we relaxed at the end of the day so a great time was had by all.

Without a computer while I was away today is the first time to catch up with you all.

Yvonne

Archived