Earthquake in VA

I just rattled along with the quake. I am about 25 - 30 miles from Mineral and Lousia. I was up on the 3rd floor...man....did I high tail it down the stairs. But by the time I gathered up the dogs to get out of the house it stopped.

I grew up in California, but I never got use to earthquakes!

I was down in the basement on my longarm and thought at first it was a train, then it got louder and more violent and as things started falling off of my walls (from what WAS my clean studio), I noticed the whole frame was shaking and realized what it was...I ran to the door to go outside but was afraid the deck was going to fall on me so I waited for it to stop and joined all my neighbors outside...this seems to be the only communication we have right now, spotty phone service... I think I am done quilting for the day - waiting for aftershocks?

What a mess my house is, even have a crack in my ceiling and plaster on the floor, drawers open, dishes on the floor, and furniture moved...boy was that scarey and it was my first earthquake!!!!

Some people are saying they felt it in Wilmington but we didn't feel anything here. My mom called from home (upstate NY) and said her whole house was moving. She was/is pretty freaked out. I guess Kailey will have a lot of firsts in her first few weeks (can you believe she is a week old already?). It is looking like the hurricane is moving into Wilmington too. We are planning on driving home on Friday. DIL's parents will likely come stay here as they live right on the beach. I've told them that Kailey can come with us! All of them can come in fact. It will be very hard to leave!!!!!

Wow Vicki,

I am glad you are OK!

Felt it here too. My DH called me a little while ago to inform me that there had been an earthquake. They did not even feel it in their building. I told him he wouldn't have missed it if he had been home.

So far we this year we have had an ice storm, tornado, flooding, an earthquake and Irene is heading for us. It has been a strange year!

I hate earthquakes. The first quake is bad enough, but I get jittery waiting for the aftershocks and wondering how big they are going to be. Glad that everyone so far is just shaken and not hurt. I always check the USGS site for info to see what the magnitude and epicenter were. Here is the info on the one today http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/se082311a.html

Stay safe,

Sue

I'm in Southern Ontario, but live on the 9th floor of an apartment building that was, well, not made with earthquake safety in mind. It managed to knock a bunch of stuff off the shelves, and the crack in the kitchen wall got bigger. About on part with the one last year - stuff was shaking for more than 2 minutes.

Wow, Cheryl, 5.8 is a pretty good shaker. So glad you all are OK. We had a big one here Easter

of 2010 that seemed to go on forever.

I don't think you ever get used to earthquakes. Most of them are not bad and are over quickly and seem

less damaging than some of the storms you see on the nightly news. But it is nothing but scary for those few minutes.

Archived