inking or coloring a quilt

I am making a quilted banner for my business and want to ink the lettering instead of applique. I know Sherry does Ink-lique...but I can't find the thread. My question is what is the best pen or product to use nowadays? I went to Joann's last night and looked for black pens...no Sakura (sp?) pens. And I'm a little afraid to use Sharpi laundry markers. What do you think?

stencil creams are oil based, can be purchaced at JoAnns and are extremely permantent when heat set.

Come in lots of colors in little pots and any stiff brush can get them on the fabric so you can color in.

I use these on a shirt probably 13 years ago and the shirt faded but the stencil creams didn't. I'm positive that

this is the same stuff in the shiva paint sticks only it's in a pot.

I know I won't spell this right but the tsinko inks are permanent on fabric. If you apply to heavily the will bleed until you

hit them with an iron.

Michele

Acrylic paints in the little bottles are permantent on fabric also. JoAnn's carries Jaquard fabric paints that would work also. Golly I could go on and on. Sorry.

PSS.... Sharpi laundry pens might be permanent but I've had sharpi's,the ones you can buy anywhere, wash out of everything.

Thank you all for the suggestions. So, no one has used a Sharpie laundry marker? My daughter uses them in her children's clothing and says they fade by the time it's time to hand the garment down to the next smallest child. Since this is a business banner, I'm inclined to go with that---cheap...and just replace the banner when it is too soiled to use. It will hang in my studio most of the time, and only during those summer swap meets and farmer's markets. This is what it looks like now. I'll post when I finish "inking" it. As you can see, it looks blank from a distance, but after inking I'm hoping it will look like my applique banner.

post--13461906824507_thumb.jpg

I've had sharpies bleed after or during heat setting. I would ink and let your banner sit for a few days before heat setting. Even then, I would heat set one letter to make sure there was no bleeding before heat setting the others.

Your first letter looks great. I hope that this works out for you.

Lynn

P.S. I love Dick Blick stores and get my fabrik paint sticks from there for less than most other stores will sell them.

Thanks Lynn. I am going to wait. I looked at Blick and found it very interesting and fun. I also found Sherry demo on YouTube painting a quilt. Patience...and in the long run it will be worth the work...

Thanks everyone for your support. Give me a couple of weeks or whenever I get the paints and I'll post when it is finished.:)

I'm computerized...and I use AutoSketch to convert fonts to patterns. It's a laborious process connecting the letters to stitch continuously, but once I'm done I can save the file and use it many times. I've done cursive in my own handwriting and that's even more difficult just because it takes so much time. Imagine the way typesetters did back in the old days when they had to take little cubes of one letter at a time and line them up as words much like a scrabble board, and lock them in and run through the printing press. That's about what I do with my drawing program and custom fonts. Johann Gutenberg never had it so good. :D

I know what you mean about not making money doing these swap meets and farmer's markets. I'm trying to put together small items to sell just to make my vendor fee. I figure that if I get one referral for quilting, it was worth it. Actually, the last one I did was very pleasant. There was music all day and the weather was perfect. I took my vintage hand crank and sewed HST all day. Actually got ahead on that quilt project. If I had someone to turn the crank for me, I could be quilting too! :P:P:P

Archived