And what would you do with this one?...

I'd suggest SID center pinwheel border and do semi-custom on the four pinwheels; SID next partial border and the next full border, with an overall in that area; for the final large blocks that border the quilt, I'd choose a block design that will work for them all, and quilt each one with it.

This is a closeup of the quilting. All she did was custom quilt the center fish block. The entire rest of the quilt is done with a decorated swirl. I was thrilled with her work at the time, and still am. The variegated thread choice helped. See (I'm telling myself) -- a quilt can look great with easy quilting.

post--13461906829601_thumb.jpg

I see pinwheels in center, churn dash, courthouse steps, stars in the corner blocks, the sunflower, lots of flying geese, and friendship stars inner border. How about planning one quilting pattern to repeat in each of those blocks, then follow Vicki's suggestion with the SID borders to stabilize. It doesn't look so overwhelming when you break it down into small pieces. Just keep the quilting density even overall. I wouldn't bother with stippling or background coverage--just highlight the parts in the sunflower, and make the pinwheels twirl, and let the SID make them pop. Looks like fun.:D

Guest Linda S

Cheri - you WILL get it. It takes time. I used to be paralyzed with fright when I first started out trying to figure out what I'd do. Now it's sort of just like clockwork. I look at the quilt and my brain just says, "okay, we'll SID this, use a stencil here, do some fill here, do CC here, etc." One of the biggest helps I had was to take a photo of the quilt, then have your photo software or your printer change the photo to greyscale or black and white. You see a lot of secondary designs or different places for quilting when you do that. Sometimes our brains are so turned on by the color that we miss background patterns.

Originally posted by JustSewSimple

Joan, I love your quilt too!!!!! what fabrics are those and what pattern????

Sylvia -- The blocks are from 'Quilts from The Quiltmakers Gift' (2000) and 'More Quilts from The Quiltmakers Gift (2003), both by Joanne Larsen Line. I created the setting design myself. The fabrics are from Fabri-Quilt, a line called 'Floribunda' by Barbara Engelking and Claudia Clark Myers.

Archived