a couple of problems in a row... jaiks

Hi quilters,

I have been quilting on my Millie with a lot of fun, but today everything went wrong.

First a thread of the bobbin got stuck in the bobbencase, or actually behind it. I finally got it out with compressed air and a tweezer, and oiled the bobbincase, for it was noisy. Then after this the top thread was breaking after alomost every couple of inches of quilting. I have checked everything, but cannot find what is wrong. I replaced the needle, positioned it right. And still it breaks. I have high quality cotton thread, and have quilted a couple of quilts with the same thread, and half of this quilt. But now nothing works ( sounds like Catweazle, you know, the English wizzard from the tvprogramm? ).

I have cleaned the machine, oiled it again, tried it out on a doodle, and things were fine, but after working on my quilt it goes wrong again.

And beside that, every time I stop quilting, the needle goes on for a couple of times, whatever I do.

ANYONE? The fun of quilting for today is over, I have checked the book and everything I can think of, but this has not happened before.

Please give me some advice, so I can finish this quilt.

Sylvia Kaptein

Sylka-Mode

www.sylkamode.com

Sylvia some time back I had a quilt that the thread just kept breaking. I had not had my machine very long. Well turned out that what finally solved the problem was loosening up the quilt on the machine. The piecing was not very flat so I had it realy pulled tight in all 4 directions. Well after that things worked much better. Now I just make sure the quilts are snug but not tight.

Another thought..........................you mentioned a piece of thread caught in your bobbin case. Is it possilbe there is a little piece of thead still in there somewhere?

Thank you, Sewingupastorm,

I think the breakage of the thread is over now, yes, I had the quilt to taut on the machine.

Leaves me my other question: how come the machine still makes a couple of stitches after I have pushed a button ( any button ) to stop quilting? Sometimes two stitches, sometimes even more, and it won't stop at all.

This is a big problem, because I have to be alert to move the machine anyway, to prevent holes in the quilt.

Sylvia Kaptein

Sylka-Mode.

www.sylkamode.com

Thank you, but I think I have found the problem... I was quilting manual with the Millennium, and I think I was moving the machine too fast. Now I have been quilting Automatic, and things are allright again... I thought - perhaps wrong - that, when you increase the speed/stitches per inch, you should move the machine faster too, but this is not the case, I have found out. With the automatic regulator, I have the advantage too with even stitches, so the problem is solved, I hope, also for next projects.

The quilt was fine anyway, but I had a lot of birdnests under the quilt/at the back, because first the needle kept going on - that is ok now thanks to Debbie, from which I have followed the instructions with the screw - and I hope breakage of thread is behind me too..

I have made a lot of quilts already, and all the time with YLI Machine quilting cotton thread - this quilt is the first with these problems, so I did not understand what I was doing wrong. I thing I was too eager to finish the feathers, and was moving the machine too fast. Something to remember for my next project, which I will do for a customer with feathers too. She saw my present quilt on the machine, and wanted the same, just like that. Isn'that wonderful, that you don't have to discuss a pattern - which I only make by freehand quilting - but that a person sees it and says immediately: I want that too?

Thank you quilters, for your support!

Sylvia Kaptein

Sylka-Mode

www.sylkamode.com

Archived