My first unhappy customer ('tis the season?)

I had a customer with 2 king sized quilts that she wanted quilted with overall swirls and overall leaves. While basting the first one I found that it was out of square by about 8-10 inches! She had stretched every square of fabric to fit and had sewn with 1/4" - 3/8" seam allowances. I called and told her about it and she said go ahead and do the best I could. Now it is 3 weeks later and she is upset because the second quilt turned out better than the first one. ( I quilt on a George so I pin baste and on the second quilt I actually taped the batting down.) Oh yeah, the batting was high loft Mountain Mist polyester. What a nightmare. My arms hurt from trying to keep the quilts flat as I quilted. How should I handle her?

First--kudos to you in tackling king size quilts on your George! Wow! You are a superquilter and braver than I am by a long-shot!

Second--you warned her. No handling needed.

Third--(I know--why is there a third?) Third--you are in complete control of what you accept and what you reject as far as size, condition and batting. Inspect it all, discuss the areas of concern, and if you can't convince the customer by education and information, decline to accept the quilt. Easily said, not so easily done, but there it is!;)

Originally posted by sandradarlington

I can surely sympathize with you!!!

( Sandra--I hope you are feeling better about your "unhappy/oh, I'm sorta happy now if you give me a discount" customer. I hope she just ...goes away.

As the Good Witch once said..."Now begone, before someone drops a house on you.")

Archived