So has this happened to anyone else?

I somehow managed to over schedule myself this coming week......actually that isn't true, I allowed people to bring me quilts before I was ready for them. Now that I have them I feel the need to hurry up and get them done. (I have nightmares about fire or tornadoes and customer quilts so I like to get them back to my customers quickly) Only problem is that the more I hurry......the more time I spend with my seam ripper. It is a vicious circle! The sad part is that I know that I am responsible for all of it. I hear a friends voice in my head " Deb you control your schedule" I actually think one of my alter egos takes over my body and accepts those quilts in advance. I just need to be firmer about when I will take quilts in.

Deb,

Yes we've all been there. I always wonder how people that take in all quilts and just keep pulling from the pile handle that. I would be way too stressed out. The solution I came up with works pretty well for me. I keep a waiting list. At the time the customer books their quilt I make notes as to size and type of quilting they want, custom or E2E. Then about 2 weeks before I call them and set-up an intake time with them. It works well for me and I still have a waiting list without having to have the quilts all hanging out at my house.

I get overly anxious when I have too many in my studio, too. I thought I'd try what others do and use a schedule and call them when I'm almost ready for their quilt. I've been burned and lost business that way because they found someone else to take their quilt in...they didn't get it done any quicker, but the quilt wasn't in their possession anymore. I still haven't figured out what the best approach to that is. I'm keeping track of those that do that to me and maybe will cross them off my list for future appointments (yes, they've called me again because they didn't like the outcome from the other quilter)????? I keep customer quilts in separate containers and store them out of direct sight and only look at my list as to what is next and that's helped relieve some of that anxiety. It's taken some time to get to this point though so just hang in there.

Good morning, Deb, Cindy and Heidi!

For years, I would have about 20 customer quilts hanging in the closet and always felt behind and guilty. I switched my process to Heidi's, and it is working well. Actually, I think it makes the customers feel special because they look forward to their 'reservation', and when I call, they have time to double check everything and do anything they hadn't done yet, like make the back or press the top. Then we have a nice time getting together and talking about what they want with the quilt. My next goal is to quilt the 20 quilts currently in the closet that are MINE :D, and after I catch up, schedule my own quilts in with the customer schedule!

So glad that I am not alone.

When I started quilting for others the thought was that I would only quilt enough to support my own fabric habit. Now I am quilting enough that I don't get to play with fabric. Plus I went out and bought a new Lenni, so I feel that I need to quilt more.

My middle son asked for a queen size quilt last November. I could pick the colors and pattern. He asked me about it a couple of weeks ago. Well some of the fabric is cut for it, he reminded me that 9 years ago he would have had that quilt within 2 weeks.

Maybe after this week things will get back to normal. We have AQS here, and I belong to an online group that are meeting up Tues & Wed nights for fun. Plus we will be at the show several days.

It is hard to find a happy medium between having a comfortable amount of work and being buried. I use to sweat having enough work. Now I have to manage what I get very carefully so I don't get overwhelmed. I do a combo of scheduling and bringing quilts home to put "in the que", AND I allow myself some down days. To achieve this Nirvana of quilting (ha ha) I have made some rules for myself.

1. It's my business, I have to live with it, I do things MY WAY.

2. Quilt que or # of customer quilts in my studio = no more than 4. After 4 they go on the list. I can live with 4 with out sweating bullets. If the customer finds someone else because they are on the list, s'ok by me because there will be more. There are always more. AND if there ever would be a time that there were no more .... I could do some of the million ideas I have rattling around in my head for my own stuff. There is no down side to rule #2.

3. I do not accept a quilt with a "due date" shorter than 8 weeks. Period. Short lead times are the devil's play ground and Murphy's too.

These rules keep me from stressing too much. I was talking to another quilter in town who is soo stressed with too many quilts in her studio, impossible due dates and NO time to spend with her grand kids. She regrets turning a hobby into a business. Someone told her when she was first starting out to NEVER turn down work. She has been trying to live with some one else's rule of business. My advise to her .... my rule #1.

I'm doing what Heidi's doing. A waiting list and each person is told that I will contact them as soon as their name gets close to the top. I don't see the quilt until it's time to get together. If the customer wants an approximate $$ amount - we talk over the phone about size and quilting wanted. I just went through too much stress (loss of sleep - a little weight gain, etc.) that I too put on myself. I hear you!!! Only one lady couldn't wait and had a quilt done by someone else, but she stayed on my list for another of her quilts.

Just another little bit of info that smacked me in the back of the head. A fellow LA'er in our teensy LA guild shared how she had a BIG AH HAH moment after being diagnosed with breast cancer. She was one that would stay up all night long getting quilts done. Now she goes camping with hubby, doing quilts on a regular basis, and.......she's healthy and going strong. Let's all not get so far gone in trying to take care of others that our bodies have to smack us to wake us up!!!!!

You are all so right! I was enjoying my little business so much more when I felt in control of it. Time to start enforcing my rules....which means quilts come to me when I am ready for them, not before.

I actually got in trouble because I let a quilt come with another pick up. The owner of the quilt was having chemo that week and her friend was brining 2 quilts for me to do. I thought I could save her the grief and broke the rule.

Problem came that the whole quilting circle knows I broke the rule, and now they think it is okay for all of them. Several of the group will come this week to pick up quilts. I'll find a way to let them know that I need to have set appts for drop off in the future.

You know I only wanted to do 52 quilts this year. I'm now at #80 going into the busiest months.

I tell myself that it is okay, because many of these quilts were twin size or smaller. The things we do to ourselves!

I've printed Kim's rules, and posted it on a bulletin board over my DSM. (now all I have to do is find time to sit there!)

Archived