Please help, tension/ thread issues?

I am currently quilting a quilt using a pantograph, Double Plume. ( Wool batt. bottom line prewounds, So Fine on top)

Everything looks great, except every once in a while, my top stitches look loose and underneath feels very rough on stitching line. This only happens when I am moving head of machine from left to right, as viewed from back of machine, so I am sure it is a needle flex issue instead of tension, but I don't know how to correct this. I tried moving a bit slower when I am going in that direction, which seems like it might have helped a bit, but not fully. Should I loosen or tighten top thread?

Do bobbin cases wear out or need to be replaced periodically? I am still using the same ones that came with my machine 6 years ago, designating them for prewounds, magnetic and bobbins I wind myself. I usually have no tension issues, but also noticed that the bobbin rattles a bit louder when I am stitching in the direction that I am having problems with. Would it have something to do with the spring in the bobbin case? I hate to be so ignorant, but I hope someone can enlighten me,

Thanks,

Lori

Lori,

I had a very similar issue happen with me...sounded awful and noticed the stitches being bad on the back...I tried new needle, tighten or loosen thread, new thread...just about everything I could think of...then I put a drop of oil in the bobbin area where your bobbin case goes into...problem solved!!

I don't know if this will help or not, just saying it helped me. By the way, I have an older machine...Ultimate 11 with intellistitch, so I don't know if you would need to do this with the newer models.

Archived