practicing no SR

Hi! I have a practice piece on tonight and want to ppp using my Gracie without the SR on! Whew! This is a big step for me! I have used it ever since I got my machine. Ok... some questions. Do I have the speed really really fast? Or on the slower level? And Can I use rulers without the SR? How do you stop and start? Thanks for any info you all can give me!

linda

Whew! been messing with it for awhile! You are right about when you have it going fast, it makes me all stressed! That's weird! I am getting my best stitches when it is up to # 13 on my speed. that's pretty fast , but it really does make the stress level feeling go up... maybe I'll stick with the SR!!

Guest Linda S

I agree. Start slow and then speed up. I don't think I'd try using rulers without the SR - it's easy to catch an edge, break your ruler, and possibly break your ruler or hurt yourself. Some folks with no SR can use rulers, but if you have SR, then don't take the chance. That's what it's there for.

Going to QwM today,but had to chime in:

I have no SR, and sometimes it's as if I turn on the machine and "Hang on for dear life"! When doing mostly "straight" stitching, IE: ditch, piano keys, etc. I turn the speed up a little. For feathers and other round stuff, I turn it down...

I regulate the length of my stitch by how slow or fast I move my machine in accordance with the speed. Slower for feathers, faster for straight stuff... I DO use rulers all the time. I've learned how to hold them so they don't get caught under the hopping foot. I also have a "cupped" hopping foot, not a straight one as most of you do.

It does take practice, but even though my machine wasn't built for the "small detailed" stitching, it seems to work for me...

post--13461907113634_thumb.jpg

Guest Linda S

Great work, Bobbi! Yes, I think our hopping foot makes it all too easy to catch the edge of the ruler. I use my stitch regulator (except for background fills) and I have a few rulers that have a small bite taken out of them. I've gotten much more relaxed with them over the years, but in early days, my hopping foot was hungry!

when i stitch around applique i do not use the SR and do use a hopping foot guide - i just use a slower speed. i get the best sid that way. with the sr around applique it just seems not to glide as well. but it is slower - that's for sure. have fun with it and just take a deep breath

Archived