How to do it?

Rita it depends how big the space is whether or not I use rulers. If they are small I can freehand those. If it is a bigger block then I use Continuous Curve Tri-Arc Rulers found at Kingsmen. I eyeball the distance from the ruler and keep it to the 1/4" so that the arcs won't over lap. I always use the SR and slow down when I'm getting into the corner so I can adjust a little if I need to.

Hi Rita,

I concur with Heidi. Smaller than 3" squares are freehanded and larger get a template. I use Quilter's Rule Dragon Scales set.

Another thought--with puffy batting, bulky seams, or bad piecing it is not necessary to hit the corners. You will get the circle look without breaking thread, needles, or your concentration if you aim for--but don't crash into--the corners.:)

Being a newbie with a perfectionist leaning I love to use either dola jones' bommerangs or Custom Quilt templates circle tool (now that I have the tab placement down....I love these little babies).

Boomerang: http://www.deloasquiltshop.com/deloasonlinestore/boomerangguides.html

Mini boomerang (sharper arch): deloa jones boomerang

Tabbed circles: http://www.prestostore.com/catalog.php/customqt/ct22482/Online_Shopping

Thank you for the information.. I think I like the freehand but not all the way into the corners..

Have to have this huge quilt finished by Mon. Evening.. it will be a tight squeeze.

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!

Thanks, Rita

I generally chalk the first couple of rows til i have the feel of the swoop. I have some great rulers (used for cutting consistent petal shapes) that let me chalk in more than a few at a time. Then it's all freehand. I to amost into the corner, about a stitch or two short and that works out good too. Glad to hear you're getting the hang of it.

Archived