Marking the quilt....

ok, I want to see what all of you have to say about this!!!!!

When a customer brings you her quilt, is it YOUR responsibility to mark the quilt top with what she wants done and then quilt it, or is it the customers responsibility to have the markings there already when she brings it in?

i.e. lines for crosshatching, or maybe a mascot outline or logo name.....

:cool: thanks =)

Hi Amy~

I must say, I have done it both ways.

Although I am normally the one that marks the quilt.

I don't really think it matters.

My only concern would be if the design is not something I feel

comfortable quilting out.

I also record this on my intake form. That way, It's noted that design choice and markings were done by the customer and releases me from any issues with design and markings.

Two separate incidents with the same piecer with either pre-marked designs or a drawn design in hand have caused me to carefully steer them to a similar design or a change in quilting density. In spite of my input, this customer insisted on her ideas being used and neither was good for the piece. One pushed her charges into custom and cost her an extra $50 for a wallhanging. The other had a much looser border design than the interior and was jarring. After washing the quilt, the large unquilted areas in the border made it look warped.

Hi Sharon,

No extra charge for marking-- that is absorbed in your rate schedule. If you are doing a panto or E2E, no marking involved and a lower price charged. As you climb the rate scale, your quilting becomes denser and/or more intricate. And starts to require marking. That's where and why you earn the extra money for custom quilting.

My quilting fees also depend on how much time and work is involved...I use either a chalk line pencil that rolls, or that purple marvey marker that comes out either by itself or on it's own in 24 to 48 hours.....

I don't have any customers that ask to pre-mark their quilts, most of mine tell me to do what I think looks best too.

Archived