Interesting twist on a wonky border!

OK, I am at the bottom of a customer's king sized quilt.

To say that it is full of ruffles is an understatement.

I tried the starch and steam method, but nevermind that, the

border is off now.

So I took the border off and it is about 6 inches LONGER than the seam I took it off of.

How can that be? Wow. The thing is, I put the quilt on the machine sideways and this is the cross border between the other two vertical borders.

How do I re attach the border correctly?

Could I just cut off the excess, pin it to the quilt top and sew a seam?

Oh, and to complicate matters, the border is a border print!

first, i'd take pictures to show customer what you were dealing with. then call customer and EXPLAIN what you are dealing with. does she want to fix that last border or does she want you to fix it? bet she wants you to do it. Tell her your 'fix-it' charge for the time it takes. personally, i'd then take off border, mark the beginning and end, and resew the border on and NOT CUT OFF THAT EXTRA ... just to let her see how much extra she had in the border. or take a picture before you cut the fabric. good teaching point for your customer. It may be just me, but i never ever touch a quilt (cutting, fixing, etc) without a phone call to the customer. that's why i use zippers. can upzip and do another while waiting for customer to call. jmho.

I would lay the quilt flat on the floor. Place the border piece on top of the quilt edge and use your hands to make sure it is flat as and positioned where you want it. Pin the center first, then the edges, then pin about 6" apart between the other pins. Don't cut off the excess yet. Sew the border in place and then cut the excess off. I usually leave a little extra of the ends, so that you could square it up after it is quilted.

Hope that helps, Anne!

Are you saying that the border print needs to be positioned correctly in the corners to match up with the other side? If so, I would lay the quilt flat on the floor. With the border print side facing you, pin the border edges where they belong on each corner, and in the center. Then figure out how much excess there is, and take calculated tucks spread out over the design, so that it is not noticeable.

Anne, I think you have to measure the center, cut the border (matching print or motif, since you say it is a border print) then re-attach. Just as you would as if you were making the top. Be careful the center is not all distorted too! I agree, let the customer know the problem and what you can do to fix it.

Good luck!

Archived