what to charge?

This question may not be politically correct on this forum, but I need advice about how much to charge for the next quilt I'm putting on. I understand about base fees per square inch of quilt but then do you add on for other things like thread color change? This one will take 4 different colors! Or do you just up the square inch price?

We don't do a thread charge but lots of people do. We charge extra for border treatments if we are doing an edge to edge. We have different prices for different types of quilting. I don't believe it is unreasonable to charge for thread changes.....we just don't.

Tori,

I fill out a price sheet when the customer brings in the quilt. On it is a line saying $5 for first thread and $3 for each additional thread. I explain that a long arm machine takes special thread, and no one has objected to that charge. It's not much but does add up for me.

SharonG

I have found that people talk about things when they see them. If you just charge a little extra for thread, etc. then they really don't question it and just pay for it and go away happy. If you put all these extras on your bill it gets them to thinking about what you are doing and talk to other ladies and then they find things to not be happy about. But on the other hand, you have to find what works for your business. I am told my prices are very reasonable. When talking to another longarmer, his prices were the same as mine, I just don't item out my bills like he does. In other words he is cheaper to start and after he adds on the extras he is the same or more than me. Ladies at the quiltshop talking have commented on that too, that he is misleading in his prices.

I don't charge separately for thread, either. I generally use So Fine on quilts, but even when I use a more expensive thread, I just have it included in the cost per sq inch. I might change threads many times on a large custom, but I still don't have a separate charge for thread...but my price per sq inch will be higher for more detailed work.

Of course, this could change at some point, too.

Archived