Help! Needle hitting hook

I was quilting along and I don't know what I hit but my needle broke. I changed the needle but now it seems the needle is hitting the hook. What am I suppose to do now? I took off the needle plate so I can see what's going on, I slowly turned the wheel and it seems the hook is hitting the needle before it clears. Am I suppose to re time the machine?

Probably. 1st make sure that the needle is in all the way. If it is, then you will need to start the process of re-timing.

Get your manual (CD) and follow the directions starting with the needle bar height adjustment. You may not need to do the full timing process, it may just be that the needle bar shifted when the needle broke.

OMG!!! I was absent from quilting for almost 2 weeks. When I replaced the needle, I had the needle in the wrong way. Took out my manual to check the timing and noticed I put the needle in the wrong way. DUH!! It works fine now. Thanks, I get absent minded all the time, LOL!

Donna,

I tell all my customers that there are two kinds of longarm quilters: those who have put a needle in backwards, and those that WILL.:P I count myself in the first group but only in the past couple of months, so there's no shame in getting it in backwards. In fact, as soon as I read your first post (before I got to the bottom), that's just what occured to me! Glad you figured it out on your own.:)

Archived