nqr Embroidery question

Since I don't belong to any other groups that I could ask this, was thinking somone here would know the answer. I'm currently thinking I need some hand work to do while watching tv so thought I would do some redwork. question is: the new Frixion pens are the new and hot item to use. Can I use them for embroidery since they disappear I'm thinking that's good, but then again, my question is. Will the hoop create enough friction to erase my embroidery lines? what do most of you use? Also I don't like the look of the floss behind the project showing through. I tried something new and not sure if it will stitch nicely, but trying it anyway. The stitch Connection suggests using a product called Stacey interfacing on the backs of the white fabrics so they don't shadow. I'm going to try this on the back of my embroidery too? what are your thoughts on this also? Do any of you use a backing? and if so, what do you use? :)

Hi Littleshoes! I am working on the redwork quilt "Winter Wonderland". Their pattern has you marking the white fabric with a "Pigma" red pin. size 01. I have done this and really like it . It is a very thin line and the 2 strands of DMC floss covers it well. They also have you basting another piece of white muslin on the wrong side (bottom) of the marked piece (before you start stitching, of course) You don't see any shadows or anything when you travel from one spot to another. Hope this helps! linda

http://www.birdbraindesigns.net/ carries Sticky Fabri-Solvy which is like transfer ease. I get mine at my local quilt shop. It is a water soluable "paper sheet" like product that you can put through your printer. I have a copier and just copy the picture and stick on and sew away. Cold water bath (short) and you are done. You don't have to worry about lines dispearing (had that happen) or having perment lines to worry about covering up. Linda ask about your local shops about "transfer eze". It is a little hard to stitch through( going through 3 layers), but not bad enough for me to want to trance all of lines for winter wonerland:)

Beware of Transfer Ease. I had heard that it "shadows" on the fabric....in other words, when you put it in water to dissolve it, it goes away but deposits the ink on your fabric. I tried it on the recommendation of a friend, and that's what happened. I tried everything to remove it, to no avail...although it did fade some. The friend who had recommended it had no issue with her first piece, but had the same thing happen on her second embroidered piece. (Same printer, same ink cartridge.) The gray shadow on her white fabric was not a good surprise. She is having to do a whole new panel for her "Over the River and Through the Woods" Crabapple Hill project, and she is not amused.

For those who don't know...Transfer Ease is a paper-like material you run through you printer and copy your design on. It then sticks to the top of your fabric and you embroider through it. When you immerse the project in water, the Transfer Ease dissolves away. I personally will not use this product again.

You can use the Frixion pens on your fabric, as long as the fabric is a light color. It is unlikely that putting the hoop on would cause it to disappear. I used it to mark a piece for applique, and had no problem with the lines disappearing. It is not suitable for use on a dark fabric..IMHO...as it leaves a faint white line..but its great on light backgrounds. I plan to use it to mark my white quilt blocks for applique placement, and have use it to mark quilting lines on white or beige fabric.

Some ladies use a very lightweight batting behind their embroidery. Check at your LQS, because I think there is a special batting just for this use. It is easy to needle through, and is not noticeable when you quilt the finished piece. I would choose the lightweight batting option if I ever did another embroidered piece.

I don't know if it has to do with the ink formula or what. I have a Lexmark printer, my friend has something else...not an HP, I don't think. I don't know if it has to do with the fabric finish, the ink, the hard water we have, or a combination of the three. Anyone using it would be advised to test it on a scrap first, though, before launching into a BIG project. I was glad I found that out before I embroidered my whole Crabapple "Snow Days." I'd have been either suicidal or homicical if it had left marks on that baby!

Thanks everyone. I too am doing the Winter Wonderland quilt. I had heard of using a lightweight poly batting behind for coverage, but was thinking that might end up catching the thread as you pull it through and in my mind make a mess. I did read to put just muslin on the backside and baste it on, but was thinking that would be alot of fabric for me to deal with and keep straight. I've never heard of Transfer Eze but will look for it and try it sometime. This proves again that everyone has a favorite and you have to try them til you find yours. Oh and so sorry, I keep forgetting to sign my posts. :(

Carol Hartman

PA

I yse a light wieght iron on interfacing behind my embroidery. I iron it on before I put the design on the lightbox and trace it on. Keeps the fabric from stretching while tracing.

I traced "over the hill" with Pigma pens, I have preiously used blue wash out marker.

I also have Pilot Color Eno pencils which are a 0.7m lead pencil which can erase from the fabric. The leads come in different colours so you can trace in the colours of your design.

Originally posted by Littleshoes

... Also I don't like the look of the floss behind the project showing through. I tried something new and not sure if it will stitch nicely, but trying it anyway. The stitch Connection suggests using a product called Stacey interfacing on the backs of the white fabrics so they don't shadow. I'm going to try this on the back of my embroidery too? what are your thoughts on this also? Do any of you use a backing? and if so, what do you use? :)

I tried red-work once and didn't do more because, apart from my stitches being terrible, I too did not like to see thread tails and travel lines through the fabric. I like the idea of using a 2nd layer of muslin. Could you use a little 505 basting spray to hold those 2 layers together while you stitch?

I have several friends stitching the winter wonderland project and it looks beautiful but I think I'll stick to wool applique for my hand work!

Archived