Batting and grain

Once upon a time many years ago a quilting friend told me that batting has a grain and which direction I should load it onto the frame.

I have searched this site and cannot find any threads that talk about batting having a grain but it most certainly does. All the discussions are about fabric grain and I did find one thread that mentioned that the grain should be "up and down". I think that means perpendicular to the rollers.

Does anyone have any wisdom on this topic? I think this might explain some of my problems with batting that sometimes wants to bunch up toward the end of a quilt.

when i have had issues with batting 'bunching up' at the end, i determined it was because i had not taken enough time to smooth out the batting as i progressed. i take a lot of time making sure that the top is straight ... but sometimes i get lax about lifting that quilt top and making sure that the batting is laying smooth ... hence, when i get towards the bottom i was finding that the batting was bunching up, mainly in the middle. my bad ... so now i always always always lift the top, smooth down the batting, making sure it isn't gathering up in the middle, and then l lay the top down and straighten it as needed. btw, i free float my tops which allows me to lift that top and see what's going on with the batting. whew ... as to whether or not batting as grain, i don't think so...

That's an interesting topic, Robin. I know fabric has less stretch on the straight of grain, than the cross-grain, so I imagine that batting would too. In other words, it would stretch more perpendicular to the batting roll. I am careful about pulling on the batting after each fabric advance, so it doesn't bunch up in there, especially if I am tight on the batting measurement. The only batt I've had a little trouble with bunching is quilters dream cotton; because if it does bunch up, it is thick, due to how dense the cotton is. What kind of batting are you having issues with?

The bunching happened a couple of times when I used Warm & White and Warm & Natural. I am in the habit of smoothing out the batting all the way down as I go. The bunching seemed to be a result of my not stabilizing by SID all the way down a custom quilt before doing the quilting. Perhaps the density of the stitching resulted in bunched batting. Next time this occurs I will take a picture and post it. It's really hard to describe without pictures.

As for grain, Hobbs 80/20 batt is definitely more stretchy in one direction than the other. I have not noticed whether W & N or W & W has the same characteristic. This was defined as grain by my friend.

I went ahead and loaded it with the less stretchy direction going top to bottom. I will try to remember to post the end results when I get there. This quilt is 98" x 108" so it will be a couple days before I know anything! Test case.

Uh Oh, Ladylake! I just read your post and as you can see by my previous post, I loaded it perpendicular. Already started quilting, so I guess I'll be watching it really close.

I also learned from the same friend that batting with scrim is less stretchy than batting without scrim. Quilter's Dream has no scrim, so that would explain the stretching. I had a 120" QD roll for a year and hated it. I was really glad when that was gone!

Archived