how to outline applique work

ok, I'm brain-dead at this point. Big quilt...nearing the finish line .... applique work I want to outline. Question ... do you outline right next to the applique or do you work 1/8 - 1/4" away from the applique. This is machine applique and I'm thinking that if I outline right next to the applique I might hit the machine stitches and weaken the stitch. Make sense? I do have Deloa's Appliguide and will plan to use that handy-dandy tool. Thanks.

Guest Linda S

I also always quilt right next to the applique'. If the applique' pieces are large enough, you should also quilt ON them. Check with your customer first to be sure. I learned this from Karen McTavish, who had been marked down in competition on a customer's quilt for show because she had not quilted on the applique'.

My rule of thumb as far as quilting on the applique pieces is...if it needs some detail ie: veins in leaves, etc, then do it, (be sure to check with your customer first), if it is a piece bigger than the palm of your hand, then it will need quilting so it does not sag when hung up.

Archived