HELP--sweatshirt quilt

I am making a T-shirt type quilt but am using my mom's old sweatshirts. I used a light fusible interfacing on the sweatshirt blocks and then used 2 inch sashings between blocks. However, with the blocks being a little thicker than the sashings, is that going to be a problem when quilting? Do I need to interface them also? Or do I need to use a batting with some loft to help off set the difference when quilting or will it just quilt up nicely regardless? Or are you even supposed to make quilts out of sweatshirts?

Suzie, I have made t-shirt quilts with sweat shirts mixed in with no problem. I did use a light weight fusible on the back. I did not interface the sashing. The batting I use is hobbs 80-20. I 've never had any trouble and my customers are always very pleased.

Martha from Mississippi

The t-shirt quilts I have quilted did have the interfacing on the shirts themselves. There was nothing in the sashing. All the quilts quilted up just fine. I would think a regular poly batting would be just fine. If Suzie has used t-shirts and sweatshirts mixed together successfully, then I think you are good to go with just sweatshirts.

I did a t-shirt quilt (fusible on all but the sashings) that had one sweatshirt w/pockets and didn't have any problems, but I did go slower over the sweatshirt because of the height difference and didn't want my hopping foot to "push" the fabric. I used a poly batting to help make up for the thickness differences so I wouldn't have a thread tension problem.

Archived