1930s block swap - to wash or not?

I ordered some fabric with the intention of participating in Doodlebug's 1930's swap block. I do have one piece of fabric here that I was hoping to use in the block but it is already washed (long ago) and the others are not. Will we experience problems with the quilt shrinking unevenly if some of the fabrics are washed and some aren't?

I'm hoping you all will tell me what you want me to do, use only the unwashed fabrics or wash them all.

Thank you!!!!

I am one that as never not pre-washed my fabric. I do starch before cutting and throughout my piecing thou. Can you ladies tell me if you wash your quilts once their quilted or even after piecing? I would love not to pre-wash, but am always afraid of the colors running or shrinkage of the quilt. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by Tevera

Can you ladies tell me if you wash your quilts once their quilted or even after piecing?....but am always afraid of the colors running or shrinkage of the quilt.

Yes I wash my quilts :) In fact, my bed quilts have been washed so many times over the years they are soo buttery soft! I have not had a problem with fabric bleeding.

Most fabric that I have heard tends to bleed are the reds and purples. If I were to piece a red and white quilt, I probably would prewash the red. Same with Blue and White. I'd prewash that blue.

I had a little table runner where the reds and blues bled onto the white. I washed it again and all of that came out so it looks fine. HTH

I have always heard wash all or none, I think even with starch the fibers are already shrunk, so if the unwashed is put into a quilt with washed the unwashed will shrink but the already washed one will not. I also think the different qualities of fabric determine the amount of shrinkage. I always pre wash then press using magic sizing JMHO..Jacque

I wash everything as I am allergic to some of the finishes they put on fabric, makes my eyes sting...That said, a friend who doesn't says, if you throughly steam press a fabric, before you cut it, it won't shrink much more...So I would think you don't need to necessarily wash, but steaming it would prevent the shrinkage that sometimes makes all those little pieces not fit into that 12 " block....I notice that the higher quality fabrics change very little upon washing, color wise and shrinkage, some of the looser greige goods tend to shrink up a bit.

I love , love, love, color catchers...:D Pat

Archived